New Liberty Owner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
bobbyg52
2006 KJ Liberty 

New Liberty Owner

Bought a 2006 Liberty Limited, 3.7, 2WD about 3 weeks ago. 76K miles, in nice shape. So far, have had Dealer install trailer hitch, installed new trailer wire harness (solved turnsignal problem), flushed engine and refilled with 5W30 full syn Amsoil. Going to dealer for cooling system flush and thermostat on Thursday. Trying to establish a starting point for maintenance. Next will be Full Syn 75W90 in the diff and a drain, filter and refill with Amsoil ATF. Any other recommendations? Air filter is almost new. Don't know about the plugs. I am getting between 19 and 22 mpg driving around area. Semi rural in SE AZ. All opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg52 View Post
Bought a 2006 Liberty Limited, 3.7, 2WD about 3 weeks ago. 76K miles, in nice shape. So far, have had Dealer install trailer hitch, installed new trailer wire harness (solved turnsignal problem), flushed engine and refilled with 5W30 full syn Amsoil. Going to dealer for cooling system flush and thermostat on Thursday. Trying to establish a starting point for maintenance. Next will be Full Syn 75W90 in the diff and a drain, filter and refill with Amsoil ATF. Any other recommendations? Air filter is almost new. Don't know about the plugs. I am getting between 19 and 22 mpg driving around area. Semi rural in SE AZ. All opinions and suggestions appreciated.
Most owners do not reccomend using synthetic oil in the diffs....I use dyno oil in both my diffs....lets see what other members on this Forum have to say about that!

Brake fluid and steering fluid OK?

Good thing getting Dealer to do the cooling system flush as hopefully they will re-fill with the correct HOAT mixture!

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 AM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg52 View Post
spark plugs NGK or Champion copper only, nothing fancy
diffs use only dino works much better
If you want to try Amsoil its OK but............
Make sure you use only HOAT collant

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ

post #4 of 8 Old 11-05-2015, 03:29 AM
Mike1970
2007 KJ Liberty 

Yeah I actually called an axle shop to ask about running synthetic diff fluid and was told I would get better protection using standard gear oil. They told me if i planned on towing a long distance to put in some synthetic and then dump it after I was done towing. Anyway, did you install the wiring harness yourself? I have the factory installed hitch from the recall and I want to install a wiring harness so i can tow with it.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-05-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
bobbyg52
2006 KJ Liberty 

Mike 1970;
Installed the harness in less than 10 minutes. It simply plugs in to the tail lights and produces a flat 4 hookup. I will be going to synthetic in the rear as I will be towing a 4x8 uhaul from AZ to Kansas in about a month and want the extra protection. Any reasons given why synthetic does not do well in the Liberty diffs? Ran it in my 94 Ram 94 Dakota and 03 Durango and never had a problem.Dealer is definitely installing HOAT and new hoses and thermostat with the flush. I will try to find the CURT number for the harness. I found it on the Curt website but bought the harness off Ebay for $25.00
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Extra protection will be using regular dino diff oil, not synthetic
Synthetic is thrown off of the gears to easily where regular old dino will stick giving better results.

As far as the harness get the one that connects up inside the right rear quarter panel.
Ones that connect right at the light do not work nearly as well

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
05 KJ
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
bobbyg52
2006 KJ Liberty 

Dealer did the flush, both radiator hoses and thermostat. $215.00 Was considering a tranny pan drop, filter and fluid but I think I will wait until I return from the tow in Dec. Do not want to shock the tranny with a 1500 mile tow. Dealer recommends full syn 75W90 for rear diff as does Chrysler in the owner's manual. Does recommend changing to 75W140 for towing but temps this time of year should not need to go that thick. Will also change that when I return. Wanted to change both as I purchased used from 2nd owner with 76K. No maint records older than 16 months. Will change oil again before I leave to ensure no flush left in crankcase.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-06-2015, 02:11 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Only reason to recommend syn in the diffs is for that extra .25 MPG thats it, does not protect better at all

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
05 KJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in