Need New Fuel Injectors or Fuel Pump? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtec

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Ike1947
2005 KJ Liberty 

Need New Fuel Injectors or Fuel Pump?

Our 2005 Liberty with V-6 with 88k miles is experiencing starting problems. We do a lot of shut down and restarts. It frequently will chug some and not start. If I turn the key off and then try again it will usually restart. Then it sometimes runs rough for awhile. Twice it was very difficult to get restarted. Putting in a fuel injector cleaner in it will usually stop the problem from occurring for maybe 2 tanks full. We are traveling with our RV, so I don't have all of my tools or a 2nd car to go get parts. Do I need to replace the fuel injectors and is it hard to do? One friend said it might just be the fuel pump which is in the tank. What is my best course of action? Appreciate any and all help. Ike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2018, 11:56 AM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds more like injectors to me if the cleaner works briefly. Might be really gummed up. What do the plugs look like and how old are they? My 02 did this for the whole 10 years I owned it but it would always start. Seems like the hot start issue is not unusual on these things. My 05 doesn't do it at all. What injector cleaner are you using? These still may only be a bandaid and injector replacement may be a better solution. Can be a bit tricky to get the fuel rail off and the injectors off the fuel rail but to me way easier than swapping the fuel pump. I'd try some really concentrated stuff like Techron or even those gumout products with PEA. One of my favorites has been the BG44K too.

Usually the thing will start running lean if the fuel pump is going (weak). Could check the fuel pressure at the rail and maybe try to turn key to run but don't start (pump should run and pressurize the system). If the pressure is okay do this same pressurizing step and wait 5-10 seconds and then start. If still slow to start with good pressure then probably the plugs or injectors.

I'm not a mechanic but this is what I'd try. Keep us posted.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

A scan is always a start - they are FREE and someelse does it so FREE and EASY check local parts stores. tell us any codes.

As o2blue suggested check fuel pressure.
and he also said plugs - they tell a story Black, Tan, Wet or dry
If you have a scanner look at ECT, fuel trims and o2 voltages.
02blue likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Tags
fuel injection , fuel pump , hard starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in