2Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By Stuperfist

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Stuperfist
2006 KJ Liberty 

Looking for some help 3.7L issues

Before you bash me I know that 100's of posts similar to what I am about to ask have been made. I am just looking for ideas before I go over the top and rip it all apart.

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 3.7L

My issue is
P2302 #1 Secondary ignition Coil Failure
P2308 #3 Secondary ignition Coil Failure
and an intermittent P0300 Random Misfire

I have replaced #1 and #3 Coils. Swapped coil 1 with 5 and the problem did not follow it stayed with #1.
Replaced all 4 O2 sensors, Cam Sync, Crank Sync, All Spark plugs with NGK.

TPS has been pulled cleaned reinstalled. ASD relay swapped with other known working relays. All fuses checked and replaced if necessary. Vacuum system checked and re-checked for leaks. Any damaged or frayed wires have been mended.

Noticed Drivers side O2 sensors read voltage prior to crank and dip to 0 when cranked. Fuelsys1 goes to OL-Drive while Fuelsys2 goes to CL. Checked and repaired power and grounds as necessary.

I can get some OBD2 data it will just have to wait for right now. I am currently overseas and parts are not exactly at my disposal so between attempts I have 1-2 Week gaps.

I am looking for anything at all at this point. Ideas or fixes y'all found. I know from the 1 Billion posts I have jumped through it seems to be a different fix for everyone. So throw em at me.

Forgot to mention that it will not throttle beyond 2.3K RpM

Other information I just thought about that may or may not be of use.

Idles at either 600Rpm or 900Rpm its a roll of the dice each time you turn the key.
I can hear/feel #1 Fuel Injector Working #3 Not so Much.

Just looking for any and all ideas.

Last edited by Stuperfist; 07-20-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like an electrical issue in the feed to those coils. Hopefully one of our electrical experts will be along soon to help.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you verify where cyl #1 thru 6 are? I have seen guys swap the wrong coils before while chasing misfires. Shotgunning, or parts chasing can lead to more issues, besides an empty wallet. I have seen that before, where cheap auto parts caused new issues compounding the original issue. First thing's first. Read the code description and what causes it to set. That is first and foremost. Then go back and perform testing to verify what is happening. You will need a good volt ohm meter for starters. If you don't own one, then either buy one or take your vehicle to a professional. Code descriptions can and are often misleading, hence you must see what the setting conditions are. Is it really an ignition system fault, or is it merely something the PCM rationalized based on the misfire? Find the answers to the code setting, and the rest will become clearer.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Stuperfist
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the response as for the cylinder from the front drivers side 1-3-5. Chased the codes up an down the street pretty much every fault tree I have followed leads to replace coil. Coil packs are replaced and the misfire code doesn't show until after the two secondary ignition problems. While looking through yet another diagram I noticed that all the wires for the secondary coils tie into each other. Can anyone clarify or elaborate on this? Are the wires in a series or parallel?

As for an expert where I am at is hard to come by. Also there are no auto parts stores nearby that offer the same services they do in the states. And I am running three different multi-meters just to eliminate any error on equipment.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2016, 02:03 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonbarnes1 View Post
Thumping noise in drive train rear on 2010 Jeep Liberty Sport. Replaced tires and rims noise remain, noise begins at 40 MPH, increases in intensity at 60 to 65 MPH. Any help from anyone as to what this maybe?
You will be better off starting your own thread. Hijacking one for an engine misfire issue won't get the suspension/transmission guys focus. You also should post this in the KK section. This is the KJ section, which is up to 2007.
streetglideok likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2016, 10:23 AM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuperfist View Post
Thanks for the response as for the cylinder from the front drivers side 1-3-5. Chased the codes up an down the street pretty much every fault tree I have followed leads to replace coil. Coil packs are replaced and the misfire code doesn't show until after the two secondary ignition problems. While looking through yet another diagram I noticed that all the wires for the secondary coils tie into each other. Can anyone clarify or elaborate on this? Are the wires in a series or parallel?

As for an expert where I am at is hard to come by. Also there are no auto parts stores nearby that offer the same services they do in the states. And I am running three different multi-meters just to eliminate any error on equipment.
No clue where you are, you really should fill out your profile so we know this. If you have a labscope, you could take a look at the primary waveform and see what it looks like. You did use OE coils too right? Gapped the NGK plugs?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Stuperfist
2006 KJ Liberty 

Fixed it

After swapping pretty much every sensor on this vehicle it came down to one....

The Engine Coolant Temp Sensor was throwing the entire system off.

At least pretty much everything else has been replaced at this point, I may not have to change anything for a few months.
02blue likes this.

Tags
3.7l , engine , ignition , liberty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in