Lift kit + tires advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
mindbomb
2003 KJ Liberty 

Lift kit + tires advice

I got a stock 03' KJ sport, want to upgrade with lift kit and new A/T tires - after some research I narrowed down to 2 lift kits:
Either the 3.5" econolift or the Frankenlift.

What are the pros/con of each lift kit? What additional parts I need to get for each? What's a reasonable install price? (North Cal bay area), other advice?

As for tires: I narrowed down to either 245/75R16 or 265/70R16 A/T tires - either LT 6-ply (C load) rated - those are a little hard to come by, limited selection of sizes, or P rated with XL (4 ply extra load). Mostly highway/city, casual off roading intended. I don't want to have a too stiff ride in the city.

So again - pros/cons of each? size/rating recommendation? any other 2 cents? recommended brand/model for budget tires?

Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2016, 10:02 AM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
I got a stock 03' KJ sport, want to upgrade with lift kit and new A/T tires - after some research I narrowed down to 2 lift kits:
Either the 3.5" econolift or the Frankenlift.

What are the pros/con of each lift kit? What additional parts I need to get for each? What's a reasonable install price? (North Cal bay area), other advice?

As for tires: I narrowed down to either 245/75R16 or 265/70R16 A/T tires - either LT 6-ply (C load) rated - those are a little hard to come by, limited selection of sizes, or P rated with XL (4 ply extra load). Mostly highway/city, casual off roading intended. I don't want to have a too stiff ride in the city.

So again - pros/cons of each? size/rating recommendation? any other 2 cents? recommended brand/model for budget tires?

Many thanks for any help!
As far as tires go do P rated, no need for 6-8 plys on a KJ
Lifts, with the Franky its a good lift, have installed a couple but you will need the JBA UCAs for them since when first installed it will be maxed out as far as suspension goes, takes a while to break in so will sit high for a while
So again figure in the JBA upper control arms
If you are looking at the 3.5 inch TM Econo kit on the JBA site , it came out of conversations of what would be needed in a one stop shopping situation
Everything but bumpstops are included
If going that route i would highly suggest using the OME 927 front springs with 3/8 inch clevis and top plate , when settled in it will be at 3.5 inches ( this is the way we do most all here )
Of course it has the JBA rear springs etc , pick shocks from the list there
Tires, if staying with stock wheels go with the 245-75-16s , same height but the 265-70s being wider could cause extra rubbing.
Know up front you will lose some power and mileage with that size.
My current build I'll be going with 265-70-16s but with 4.10s gears
Be a good idea to also pound over the pinch welds I have pictures of how we do them if it would be helpful to you
Oh and also the Frankenlift comes ready to install, no need to take front springs to a shop to have them compressed so that is a plus to some

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
mindbomb
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hey thanks for the tips!

Other config I was thinking about to save some $$ (>1200$ lift + install is stretching me real thin) is:
Get Bilstein B6 4600 new shocks for rear+front and OME 927/948 springs separately this leaves me at ~750$ before shipping and tax - much much better (I think you've given me this idea on `JeepKJ.com` forums)

I guess I will also have to add Clevis rings (front) and plates (front and rear?) - correct? incorrect? Not sure which sizes to pick at JBA website.
about mileage/power - mileage is already very terrible with stock (10-15mpg, how bad can it go?), power - I got the 45rfe tranny so that might help lose a little less?

info: My UCAs had just been fitted with new lower ball joints by the manufacturer (recall) - so maybe it can still work without the extra ~400$+install time. am I making sense here?

about tires -
Difference between 245/75 and 265/70 is just 0.1" - do you think the 265s will rub badly with this type of lift? really prefer going wider on tires since they'll be P and not so aggressive as M/T or real LT A/T.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
As far as tires go do P rated, no need for 6-8 plys on a KJ
Lifts, with the Franky its a good lift, have installed a couple but you will need the JBA UCAs for them since when first installed it will be maxed out as far as suspension goes, takes a while to break in so will sit high for a while
So again figure in the JBA upper control arms
If you are looking at the 3.5 inch TM Econo kit on the JBA site , it came out of conversations of what would be needed in a one stop shopping situation
Everything but bumpstops are included
If going that route i would highly suggest using the OME 927 front springs with 3/8 inch clevis and top plate , when settled in it will be at 3.5 inches ( this is the way we do most all here )
Of course it has the JBA rear springs etc , pick shocks from the list there
Tires, if staying with stock wheels go with the 245-75-16s , same height but the 265-70s being wider could cause extra rubbing.
Know up front you will lose some power and mileage with that size.
My current build I'll be going with 265-70-16s but with 4.10s gears
Be a good idea to also pound over the pinch welds I have pictures of how we do them if it would be helpful to you
Oh and also the Frankenlift comes ready to install, no need to take front springs to a shop to have them compressed so that is a plus to some

Last edited by mindbomb; 04-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
mindbomb
2003 KJ Liberty 

ping
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM
4wheelbagans
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Hey thanks for the tips!

Other config I was thinking about to save some $$ (>1200$ lift + install is stretching me real thin) is:
Get Bilstein B6 4600 new shocks for rear+front and OME 927/948 springs separately this leaves me at ~750$ before shipping and tax - much much better (I think you've given me this idea on `JeepKJ.com` forums)

I guess I will also have to add Clevis rings (front) and plates (front and rear?) - correct? incorrect? Not sure which sizes to pick at JBA website.
about mileage/power - mileage is already very terrible with stock (10-15mpg, how bad can it go?), power - I got the 45rfe tranny so that might help lose a little less?

info: My UCAs had just been fitted with new lower ball joints by the manufacturer (recall) - so maybe it can still work without the extra ~400$+install time. am I making sense here?

about tires -
Difference between 245/75 and 265/70 is just 0.1" - do you think the 265s will rub badly with this type of lift? really prefer going wider on tires since they'll be P and not so aggressive as M/T or real LT A/T.

Thanks!
The mileage gets a lot lower the higher you go and the bigger you go. I just put on bfg KO2s at about an inch bigger than stock (not even an inch though). 245/70/r16 and they are wider and have more contact so that aids to the whole rolling resistance stuff. I see a considerable change in mileage and my gear ratio is stock at 3.73 I believe. So decently high for a stock vehicle in my opinion. Re-earing helps! You'll see the mileage shoot back up, its just very expensive. Its not essential but over time it should be done.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Hey thanks for the tips!

about tires -

Thanks!
If you go with top plates and clevis it will take you to 3.5-3.75 inches of lift and will need the JBA UCAs
As far as lift with just the 927s/948s it will give you 2.5 inches of lift
I have the JBA coilover sit at 2.5 inches
here is what it looks like with 265-70-16s on Moabs ( just installed today )
4.10 gears coming soon

here is what I started with a few months back

and oh what the heck my other DD
on the left

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
mindbomb
2003 KJ Liberty 

Very nice!
I got my Jeep's UCAs lower ball joints replaced recently hopefully I can do without the JBA UCAs and save some 500$+.

BTW - Which bumper and front skids you got there? looks very nice and no need to remove current bumper. Does it have room for a winch?

PS
I dig your new decal (instead of "sport") hehe

Tags
advice , kj , lift , lift kit , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in