Liberty Overheating Problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 PM
spazznacity
2005 KJ Liberty 

Overheating 05 Jeep V6 3.7L

Last edited by spazznacity; 08-03-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM
spazznacity
2005 KJ Liberty 

05 V6 3.7L OVERHEATING. please help

Last edited by spazznacity; 08-03-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM
spazznacity
2005 KJ Liberty 

OVERHEATING 05 V6 3.7L- please help, about to lose job because of it

Last edited by spazznacity; 08-03-2015 at 03:48 PM.

post #19 of 28 Old 06-28-2015, 01:07 PM
megatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Ive personally seen vehicles with dual fan setups, where the electric fan is running, and the mechanical fan is probably spinning at 100rpm vs the engine at idle. Lincoln Towncars, 1995 had this arrangement. Need to understand how things work, and their reason for it.
There is a small amount of silicone in the fan clutch. There are valves inside the clutch assembly. And yes, there is a clutch. On the face of the clutch assembly is a flat-wound coil spring. Air passing thru the radiator cools or heats that flat spring. That spring expands or contracts, depending on the air temperature it is exposed to. The expansion or contraction of that spring controls a variable mechanical valve, that valve regulates the flow of silicone within the clutch. The flow of silicone is what dictates fan rpm's........basically.

FYI, if you ever see what appears to be oil on the front face of the clutch, it isn't oil. It's actually the silicone from within the fan clutch and the fan clutch should be replaced. Even just a small amount of "dusty oil" is TOO much to silicone to be lost.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 PM
classof96

I have an 02 jeep liberty 3.7l v6 . I got going down the road this morning and it started overheating fast, maybe ten minutes in the trip. it started smoking and 'beep beep beep', I had to pull over. ive had water pump and radiator replaced. almost clueless to cars so I need help.... maybe my radiator fan isn't kicking on, im not sure???
post #21 of 28 Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 PM
classof95

I have an 02 jeep liberty 3.7l v6 . I got going down the road this morning and it started overheating fast, maybe ten minutes in the trip. it started smoking and 'beep beep beep', I had to pull over. ive had water pump and radiator replaced. almost clueless to cars so I need help.... maybe my radiator fan isn't kicking on, im not sure???
post #22 of 28 Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Joenavy85
2005 KJ Liberty 

something's not flowing properly or at all. I've driven my Jeep in Texas when it was triple digit temps out and the electric fan only occasionally turned on at all (I wired in a indicator light). So regular driving should provide adequate airflow to keep it cool.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classof95 View Post
I'm assuming you've checked the coolant level and it is okay? Check the efan by turning the AC on to max. It should activate the efan briefly at least. If that doesn't activate the fan then the fan motor may be shot. I had a fan relay go bad on mine but it threw a check engine light and gave a code.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #24 of 28 Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classof95 View Post
Few things that stand out with what you said. Going down the road, means you have airflow across the radiator unless its packed full of dirt, mud, bugs, cardboard(ghetto thermostat), etc. You can't see the radiator, as the condenser blocks viewing. Chances are though, you have plenty of air, and being February, its not hot yet. So, you need to check coolant level, and also see if you got flow. Before it overheats, and it's warmed up, how good is your heat output? If it can cook you out, you likely are ok on flow. If not, you may have a flow issue from a defective water pump, or plugged heater core. Now if you have flow, you could be dealing with a thermostat stuck closed or restricted.

Now you mention a new water pump, and radiator. Tell us more about this? We know you didn't get the sudden urge to blow money on them, right?lol What happened that led up to the radiator and water pump replacement? Did it overheat prior to those repairs? Did the temp gauge elevate at all? Is it possible that the gauge did and you didn't notice? Was the coolant ran low for a while? Those are all things that could point to the source of your current problem.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM
TimsLiberty
2002 KJ Liberty 

2002 KJ Liberty overheats only in 4 wheel drive

Hey out there. I live in Florida. I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4. I was out in the woods in 2 wheel drive until I really needed 4x4. That's was putting around not going through mud or getting on it. When I put it in 4x4 Hi or Low after a few minutes I see the temp gauge starts to go up. If I put it back in 2 wheel drive it seems to go back the normal temp. The fan seems to be working fine. I just do not understand why I can drive as hard as I want in 2 wheel drive and the temp stays normal, but just putting around in 4 wheel drive it gets hot. The first time I saw this happen was about 9 months ago. It's happened about 4 times now. Now I just do not put it in 4x4. That sucks cause I like going in the woods. But now I'm afraid to go in to deep. I just try to stay in 2 wheel drive. If I have to use 4 wheel drive it's only for a real short time.

Thank you in advance for your help
post #26 of 28 Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 PM
TimsLiberty
2002 KJ Liberty 

I think it might be the fan. I went out the other day and I left the A/C off and it didn't over heat. So then I turned on A/C and after a few minutes the temp started to rise. I stopped and open hood and notice the fan wasn't on. I hit the top of the fan and it came on. It seems to be running slow. So I'm going to replace it and see if that is really the problem.

Just wanted to say thank for everyone's help!!! LOL
02blue likes this.
post #27 of 28 Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
TimsLiberty
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just to let everyone know. It was the fan. It was running but not good enough. I replaced it and I have not had any issues since.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 PM
MountainMan525

do you know if the electric fan has 2 speeds?

Tags
overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in