Engine/Electrical Wire,smoke - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
RRJeep

Engine/Electrical Wire,smoke

Ok I'm new here but not new to Jeep. I have a 2004 Liberty limited, 3.7l 4x4.

It has high mileage and i'm starting to replace things. Recently my cig lighter/dc plug in the front console went out and I checked all my amps/breakers in the side panel and nothing fixes that.

i'd love to know how to get into that panel and replace the ac outlet so i can use my plug for charging and my kobalt tire thing from that outlet. ive looked all over for how to remove that console and replace with no luck.

but more importantly, I've had what I thought was just a minor oil/trans leak (nothing leaking on ground). but today after i had an oil change and it was noticed that there is a red wire that appears to be touching my serpentine belt or just something from within is smoking (photo attached, at least i think)

the smoke is white to gray in color and smells sort of like a camp fire smell, only does it while it's on of course. I need help on how best to resolve and such. is it safe to continue to drive? the oil place said it's electrical and though it's been going on for about 2-7 mons, i'm now worried. before i just thought it was the minor little leak from the oil/trans please help.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6878.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2019, 08:18 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Inside the little shelf area next to the lighter socket is a screw. Remove the screw. Then pull the trim piece off gently. The lighter socket is attached to the trim piece.

Is the white smoke always coming out, or does it go away after you start driving? Usually white smoke is from coolant. An easy check is look for a leaky transmission pan causing fluid to hit the cross over piece of the exhaust. The exhaust gets fluid on it and it smokes a little, but after things heat up the smoke goes away. I had this problem until I changed the pan gasket. If it is always smoking you probably have a coolant leak, like a blown head gasket. If it goes away when you start driving it could a bad valve seal letting oil leak down into the chamber, or a coolant leak that is very slow and just weeping for now. Are you losing coolant?

The red wire is for the ac compressor. If it breaks the compressor won't cycle. Do your best to move the wire away from the pulley. Loosen the screw and pull the wire back some.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I posted this link a while back, let me know if still good and if it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xd09c9...anual.pdf/file

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
RRJeep

I will definitely look into the console issue. Hopefully that works!

I found out the hard way this AM about the primary issue. Apparently, the AC gasket (...? is that the right term?) froze up and it stopped spinning. It was burning the serpentine belt. The AC runs with the belt. So, currently its in the shop. the new belt will by-pass the AC for the time being. I don't like AC anyways so not a huge deal. At least I know now. Glad it didn't happen on the road.

-Rhonda
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
RRJeep

Thanks for this doc! It is still valid and works. It should be helpful with my upcoming repairs

-Rhonda

Tags
engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in