Engine in 02 liberty 3.7 install help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
cguerex

Engine in 02 liberty 3.7 install help

So I have 2002 jeep liberty limited 3.7L 4x4 and I am installing the rebuilt engine. I'm trying to drop the engine back in. But I'm having difficulty getting the torque converter "back of the engine" to receive the transmission and then set the engine back in place. Any tips or tricks. I have a nice amount of play with the transmission but its just not happening. Big pain in the _____. So close yet so far away any help would be great.
Oh. Long story short the woodruff key broke off at the crankshaft and the crankshaft sprocket was free spinning and catching. catastrophic failure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Is the rebuilt engine set up for an 02 tranny? IIRC the later engines mated to the 42RLE transmission have a pilot bearing in the end of the crank that need to be removed for it to fit with the 45RFE found in the 02s.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 08:03 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

Is it your old engine rebuilt, or a reman from somewhere else? If it is not your original engine then:

Auto's don't need pilot bearings, but I think was a piece that had to be removed for 45RFE if it wasn't a 45RFE motor. That being said the 2002 3.7 with 45RFE was different from the 42RLE 3.7's. The 2002 to early 2003 have small differences from the later KJ's. In my experience the 2004/2005 and later were 'standardized' builds, and the '02 and '03 were like first article runs that were all over the place.

I thought there was a pressed on piece on the crank that was to adapt the smaller 42RLE TC, and that this piece has to removed for a 45RFE TC to fit.

From my knowledge of shade tree wrenching the '02 to '07 Dakota/Ram 3.7 are the 'junkyard' replacement for the 2002-2003 45RFE KJ's. They were almost identical. The 3.7 in late '03 and up Liberty's had changes to timing and tuning as well. So, if you got a reman engine for a later KJ you'll need the computer and sensors to go with it. Or you have to tear the motor apart and put in some different parts.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
cguerex

Hey it is the original engine just had the pistons and cylinder walls done. Just cant get the dang think back in. So easy to take out. Im thinking of just dropping the trans and assembling it out of the Jeep then putting the engine trans combo back in as a whole unit.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Mine was a pain to get back in when I did a crank replacement. Really helps to have a friend. The engine has to be tilted back as you're trying to mate it up. I had a jack under the tranny, a ratchet strap on the front of the engine and kept adjusting both until I got the dowels to line up. Where are the dowels? It may be easier if they are on the bellhousing. Mine were on the engine and I think that was what made mine so difficult. They can be moved.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

On KJ's with the 45RFE/545RFE it looks like it would be easier to pull the motor and trans together and mate them outside because of the one piece housing. I have not done an engine install on a 45RFE KJ before, but I can see space being a problem. When I wrench on my KJ it gives me the image of 10 pounds of shlt stuffed in a 5 pound bag. On the Ram trucks you got plenty of space, so dropping in the engine and mating it to the RFE trans isn't a problem.

For the readers of this post with a 42RLE, the nice thing about the 42RLE is it has a removable TC cover, so you undo the bellhousing bolts and TC to flexplate bolts leaving the TC in place. Much easier to get the angles you need to mate it all up instead of blindly chasing TC to input shaft mating like on the 45RFE trans.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #7 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

I should have elaborated. The crank I replaced was on my former 02 with the 45RFE. I didn't have any trouble with space, just a pain to get the angle right to get things to mesh. Would have been much easier with a second pair of hands.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
cguerex

Thank you for the insight. Yeah had the whole neighborhood over twist-in, wrench, and drinkin trying to get it all aligned and yep tried jacking the trany. Going to drop the tran, and assemble outside, then try putting it in as one unit tmr. fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in