clunking and poping on 2005 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-02-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
grumpyaz

clunking and poping on 2005

we have a new to us 2005 with 3.7 and I am puzzled with a problem. when you take off from a stand still by really tromping the throttle there is a kinda slip and then banging from lack of better word. Im guessing the rear end is a limited slip??? causing this. Possibly it has the wrong fluid in the rear end?? Also I notice the tranny is seemingly over full and the trans case seems to be a bit burnt smelling not bad but I get a hint of burnt?? I am thinking the immediate issue is the rear end must be limited slip and maybe been filled without additive??

Other thing I noticed on a separate occasion I put the vehicle while standin still in the different gears on the tc. when I put it back into 2wd an backed up it popped real loud, also did the same another time going forward turning .

the vehicle doesn't seem to have any drag issues it runs good and gets 18mpg around town and on the highway seems like all is well.
We have had several older xjs but this is our first kj and it seems things are touchier somewhere.
thanks grumy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

The KJ has to be rolling to cycle the 4WD. 4Hi can be done at speeds up to 55. 4Lo you have to roll in neutral at like 2mph to get it to engage. It isn't a stop and put into gear type. I made that mistake too, and had the pop that sounded like a transfer case busting. The owners manual details the procedure.

Not many Libby's had the limited slip. You could try adding some additive to it. I would change the trans fluid. I suspect that is the problem. The 42RLE they use is very sensitive to fluid. It has to be ATF+4 and has to be clean. I installed a pan with a drain plug and Lube Locker gasket, and fixed my slipping issue with new fluid.

And yes, coming from an old XJ that was a tank that could be abused and would never die the KJ's are very touchy.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2019, 08:40 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB81 View Post
The KJ has to be rolling to cycle the 4WD. 4Hi can be done at speeds up to 55. 4Lo you have to roll in neutral at like 2mph to get it to engage. It isn't a stop and put into gear type. I made that mistake too, and had the pop that sounded like a transfer case busting. The owners manual details the procedure.
Not true.
It is reccomended and smoother this way. But you can definitely,be stopped and engage 4H. 4L as well...done it many times.

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears

post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 PM
tsvallette
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue with my 02 KJ and then all of a sudden 2wd hi would not engage, 4wd part time and 4wd hi wouldn’t engage but 4wd Lo did. After getting home and the next day I decided to do a TC fluid check. I opened the fill and noticed the fluid is low, then removed the drain plug and the fluid was black, and chunks of plastic came out with it. BTW I have the 242 j TC. I do believe my shifting fork went bad and is now in multiple pieces.

If its too plain then it can be made better ( Modify )!!!!!

95 Build/Rebuild
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-1995-400-expense-948376/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in