broken lug nut - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
territory145

broken lug nut

Hi all,
Well I lost my lower ball joint this morning while returning from a work trip. The ball joint came out about 3 miles from home so I called AAA and they towed me home.
The car is in front of my house and I was going to take the wheels off....but.... one of the lug nuts wouldnt turn so my friend suggested i try to cut off the lug nut. Well 3 hours later the stud and lug nut are even with the wheel and I can't remove the wheel.
Any other way to get this off??
I will do anything you suggest now.
Thanks,
Mitch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Brad426

Garage
Drill it out. Start with a small bit and work your way up. It takes time and a lot of patents. Good luck.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

Can you get a socket on the lug anymore? If so, heat the lug up with a small torch for a little bit, get a big breaker bar and put a pipe on the end. Use all your force and go clockwise to tighten it to it's death. You might get lucky and snap the lug off. If that don't work you have to drill the lug. The lugs are very hard and take forever to drill. Get lots of drill bits and I recommend a corded drill with lots of torque.

Also, you will need a new wheel hub.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im hoping you mean it would turn the stud with the lug cause if it was just stuck get a really big bar and it will either turn or snap off and yuou can then replace..... also how flush are we talking ... like you took the tip off or the entire lug is off . if the entire lug is cut off the wheels could be hub centric and you may have to pry them off with a 6 foot bar ( i have to on a 2018 JK) as stated above drilling could work but watch depth and try not to drill into the hub if the stud is tight still and just the nut was stuck then if the hub is undamaged you can just pound in a new wheel stud ( or all if they look bad) but yes if the stud is spinning in the hub you can either get an oversized stud to fit ( its designed to fix a spinning stud) or yes a whole new hub like stated above.

if the lug is still there and you have space around the lug you can try to chisel through the lug and the edge of the threads and try to split the lug, but it there is no space thats about impossible.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
territory145

Thanks for everyones advice, I'm on it now.
Mitch
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 10:18 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

How'd it work out?

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
territory145

The only nut giving me a hard time is the upper control arm under the steering linkage, I just can't get it to budge?
Any tricks?
Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in