Block Heater on CRD - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
naturist

Block Heater on CRD

It got down to freezing last night here, so early this morning hooked up the block heater to see what it does. I put a watt-meter on it, and determined that it draws 410 watts, enough to make a difference I'm sure, but not enough to heat the world. Left it on for a little over 2 hours, then went out to see what difference it made.

By then the air temperature was up into the low 40s, not cold by any stretch, but the CRD started quicker than it did on mornings in the 70s. Couldn't tell if it warmed up quicker than usual, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
bbo

good to know .. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I have notice the coolant heater seems to warm things up really quick for a diesel.

Buddy of mine has a TDI and that thing sucks to warm up in the winter.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
glaspak845

I tested the block heater and just an FYI it draws a little over 5 amps if anyone is wondering about putting a timer on the Jeep. I think the exact number is 5.35 amps or something, I was albe to find just an average outdoor light timer and use regular extension cords that didn't need to be rated extra heavy in order to carry a heavier load.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
naturist

Yeah, I have a TDI, too, and the CRD warms up vastly faster, at least twice as fast, maybe 3 times as fast.

And yes, Glaspak, 5 amps (or 400 watts), whichever way you choose to measure it, is a load easily handled by SHORT extension cords of standard 14 guage wire. If you run it very far, though, you'll want to use a heavy duty cord. I think I'd draw the line here at 20 feet or so.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
oldnavy

Yes the VW TDI's with all aluminun engine did not hold much heat. In 15*F to 20*F weather it would take 7 miles of highway driving to get the car to normal operating temprature. My old 83 MB diesel would do it in about 2 miles because it had cast iron block & head. I'm not sure if the CRD has a cast iron head, I haven't looked, but the block is. Oil pan is cast aluminum though and that's a love hate relation ship.

Ours sat out night before last and it was 33*F when I started it and I could not tell any difference from when it was in the 70's & 80's, but then unlike most of you guys here I have access to 49 cetane B2 & B10 fuel and it makes a big difference in the way the engine starts, noise level, power and MPG's over the standard 40 to 42 cetane most of you have to use.

"If a man speaks in the woods where there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

'05 Liberty Sport CRD, Stone White , Her's
'05 Dodge Magnum SE, Cool Vanilla White, Mine
Waiting for diesel version.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
4wlrkiller

Just out of curiosity, where is the plug located to plug the block heater in? I consulted the manual with no results. Any help would be appreciated.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
oldnavy

It comes from the factory zip tied to the oil dip stick. You remove the two ziplocks, and route the ord as desired. The Ziplocks are reusable.

"If a man speaks in the woods where there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Last edited by oldnavy; 11-12-2005 at 06:27 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 PM
4wlrkiller

BINGO!!!!
Thx Oldnavy

P.S. My wife said "yes, I would still be wrong"
post #9 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
oldnavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlrkiller
BINGO!!!!
Thx Oldnavy

P.S. My wife said "yes, I would still be wrong"

post #10 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 06:30 PM
schlundg

Dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlrkiller
Just out of curiosity, where is the plug located to plug the block heater in? I consulted the manual with no results. Any help would be appreciated.
Don't feel bad -- that took my, my wife, my brother, and a dealer mechanic to find it.

After we gave up, it took the stealer wrench took about 2 minutes...

Terrible location for it.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM
ranger1
2005 KJ Liberty 

32 Degrees This morning

and the CRD started right up just like it was summertime. Standard D2, 40 cetane FlyingJ diesel. A little noiser for a few minutes, then quiet as it normally is. I've used the block heater last spring when it was in the 20's and it makes the warmup period much shorter.

Jeep did a nice job on the glow plug system on the CRD. I did a little research on the glow plugs and found some info on them. I was particularly curious as to why they used 7 vdc instead of 12 volt glow plugs.

They are listed as Rapiterm Bosch glow plugs, with a solid state, 7 volt dc controller, with a staggered warmup pattern, to avoid draining the battery when cold. 7 Volts is used so that when starting under cold temperatures, the lower battery voltage caused by the huge starter battery drain won't impair the glow plug efficiency.

The ceramic gp tips use a heater element composed of some kind of conductive material, rather than metallic heating coils for better heating. The gp's reach slightly over 2200 degrees F in approximately 2 seconds.

No mechanical relays to burn out, fast heat up time. No wonder the CRD starts so easily in the cold!
post #12 of 23 Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
oldnavy

Sure beats my '83 MB diesel, battery took two men and a boy just to lift it off the ground and a 2 minute glow every time it went below 40*F outside.

post #13 of 23 Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
TdiDave

what temperaturs does it heat the oil or coolent to?
post #14 of 23 Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM
oldnavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiDave
what temperaturs does it heat the oil or coolent to?
Have to wait till it get's winter here (Thursday morning according to weather man) and then I will plug it in and hook up the ScanGage and see what the actual temp is for you at one hr intevels. I have checked coolant temp with the ScanGage while driving 72 mph on the highway and it seems to run a steady 173*F at that speed.

post #15 of 23 Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
naturist

Old Navy, even more useful than just the temperature at one hour intervals would be to include also the ambient temperature at the same time. Since the engine is going to be LOSING heat to the environment all the time it is warmer than said environment, the differential is important to know, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in