Alternative rear brake calipers with hand brake? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
jeepsterkj

Alternative rear brake calipers with hand brake?

I want to get rid of the awful brake shoe design inside the rear rotor/drum of my 2005 KJ 2.8 Sport and replace my disc calipers with ones that have handbrake cable attachments so that the brake caliper also becomes the hand brake. I found such a kit on ebay for a Chrysler Dana 60/ 8.75 axle, but I haven't found one for the KJ yet with a Chrysler 8.25 axle. The only kits I have found are for converting the older KJ's, which had rear drum brakes, to disk brakes, but they all have the same stupid brake shoes included. The reason I ask is my handbrake failed on me recently and my KJ merrily rolled out of my drive all on it's own and smashed straight into a brand new Ford Transit on the other side of the road causing extensive damage...I not longer trust the existing handbrake mechanism. After stripping the rotor off the hub I discovered the problem...One of the notches on top of the cast iron caliper carrier bracket, that the top of the shoes fits into is broken off and it allowed the shoe to disengage. The bracket in question is only available new from Jeep as as part of a kit and again, it comes with those useless shoes again. The kit is also horrendously expensive...316 +VAT (Add 20%) or 380! (that is over 506 US Dollars!!!), and that is only for one side!
However, the conversion kit's I've seen work out about half that price as they do both sides, not just one. Here is the bracket that broke and the kit is comes with (highlighted in yellow):[IMG]hanbrakepartspicps by Alf Beharie[/IMG]
and here is one of those Chrysler 8.75 conversion kits showing the calipers that have handbrake cable attachments (which I found on ebay)

[IMG]convkit1 by Alf Beharie, on Flickr[/IMG]
Note: in the bottom left corner it says "All Mopar rear ends"...Yet if you enter the KJ to see if it fits it says it doesn't!
So does anyone know if there calipers like this that will fit straight onto the rear axle of a KJ and allow me to get rid of the brake shoes for the handbrake? Or perhaps with a conversion kit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Brad426

Garage
Stick with OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in