2012 Jeep Liberty Transmission Failure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
P3ppy911

2012 Jeep Liberty Transmission Failure

I bought my Jeep Liberty brand new 6 years ago. It currently has 19,740 miles on it (I live 1/4 mile from work). A few weeks ago on a camping trip my transmission failed on a one lane dirt road up a hill to a tourist spot. Unable to turn the car around, I was forced to drive in neutral backwards for 2 miles with a cliff on one side of the road, very nerve wrecking! I had no cell service, thankfully a cop was on his way up the hill to service another person who locked their keys in their car. He called a tow truck for me and advised me to continue down to the main road and he’ll return to assist me. I was in a state park, the closest town had only 2 mechanics in it and no Jeep dealership nearby (closest one to the town was 45 minutes away). I had I towed to the auto shop the tow truck came from where I also had it repaired. The mechanic advised me of the transmission failure which surprised me considering I only had under 20k miles on the Jeep, and it would take a week to fix. I was leaving to go home in 2 days so this definitely put stress on my only vacation of the year! We hitched a ride back home from a friend which was 2hours away to retrieve my friends car, and drove back another 2 hours to camp so we can get our gear back home. When I finally got home the nightmare became worse, thanks to Chrysler Jeep. I called the corporations help center and initially talked to a gentlemen who advised me that I was no longer under warranty but because of the low mileage they would work to reimburse me the cost of the repair, but since it was a Saturday, no supervisors were in the office for me to speak to and I would receive a call from one on Monday. Monday evening and no call back, so I called them. The woman I spoke to stated the systems were down and she would have a supervisor call me back in about 20 minutes. I received no call back. I called on Tuesday, spoke to another woman, she informed me no case was opened and there was no record of me calling with an issue. She gave me a case number finally, and advised me I will have to take the Jeep to a certified dealer; well that’s not an option anymore since it took 4 days for someone to tell me that and the mechanic already ordered the $3,336.00 part. She advised me to call back when I receive my repaired Jeep and they will work with me on paying for the repairs. The following Friday I receive my repaired Jeep. I call again, and the gentleman I spoke to advises me that I will receive a request for reimbursement form which I will have to send back. A week goes by and I call AGAIN! I let them know I haven’t received anything in the mail to begin the reimbursement process. He puts me on hold to speak to a supervisor, comes back and tells me I didn’t receive the mail because they will not help me pay for this since I didn’t go to a certified dealer, nor did I replace the transmission with a Mopar one (the mopar transmission did not come with a warranty, the one I bought did)I remind him I was in the middle of nowhere with the closest dealership 45 minutes away. He apologizes and states they can’t help me. I tell him this is the last Jeep I will ever buy. He said “I’m really sorry to hear that, have a good day” and hung up!!!! FYI, I was on my way to upgrade to a 2019 grand cherokee that day too. Not anymore. I love Jeeps but after this unfortunate mishap and the lack of empathy on the customer service end, I’m currently researching Mazda’s. I wanted to be a Jeep owner for life but if transmissions fail after less than 20k miles it nots worth it!!! After spreading my story around I have found I am not the first person this has happened too, wish I knew sooner about the transmission issue with Liberty’s. Never again!!!!!! Stay away from Jeeps!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM
RufusK
2004 KJ Liberty 

Any mass produced machine will have a few bad ones. And you shouldn't have been surprised that Jeep didn't want to pay for a non-Jeep transmission. What you got for your expense was a repaired Liberty and a lesson in making better decisions if you ever find yourself in a similar situation in the future.

BTW - My 2004 Liberty that I bought new has over 200,000 miles on it. I have had to do a few repairs on it but I've been really happy owning it. I still have it, still drive it, and I'm still happy to have bought it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in