2007 Liberty Rear Control Arms rusted thru - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

2007 Liberty Rear Control Arms rusted thru

Tonight I was driving our 2007 Liberty. Got what felt like a high speed wobble at less than 45 MPH. This Jeep controls steers more like a go cart compared to my F150 that I normally drive so I thought I must have done with steering wheel.

Then it got worse, much worse. Back end had a lot of movement. So I pulled over and found the rear control arms were cracked. Got it home, jacked it up & that finished them off. Broke all the way thru. OMG

Picture attached.

Now I see that their was a recall on the rear control arms. Go figure. Never got the recall paperwork from Jeep on this.

Found the parts on line. Seems like I should replace the upper control arm while I am at it.

Glad this happened to me at low speed and not my wife who normally drives this one. Almost used it to pull my boat yesterday. Got lucky there.

You all have a great weekend. God Bless America!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-23-2021, 11:56 AM
Brad426

Garage
Yikes !
post #3 of 11 Old 10-23-2021, 01:25 PM
frankjc
1999 WJ 

Looks like what happened to our 2012
Attached Thumbnails
control arm 2.jpg  

post #4 of 11 Old 10-23-2021, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

Follow-up Beed Help finding the bolt to attach the sway bar to the lower control arm

Got the parts from NAPA today after I called Jeep and they confirmed they would reimburse me for the cost of the lower control arms. So I am only out of pocked the upper which I did not get installed today.

On the lower ones the ones I took off are pictured below. Can you believe they passed VA state inspection about three weeks ago. And I told they inspector I thought I heard noise in the back end. Go figure. Dangerous.

One top of one of the bolts that connects the sway bar to the lower control arm just twisted off like taffy. So I am short one bolt. Two trips to the auto stores and no luck finding the right bolt. Anyone know where to get one?

Appreciate any feedback on that.

Thanks
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2021, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

Follow-up Beed Help finding the bolt to attach the sway bar to the lower control arm

Got the parts from NAPA today after I called Jeep and they confirmed they would reimburse me for the cost of the lower control arms. So I am only out of pocked the upper which I did not get installed today.

On the lower ones the ones I took off are pictured below. Can you believe they passed VA state inspection about three weeks ago. And I told they inspector I thought I heard noise in the back end. Go figure. Dangerous.

One top of one of the bolts that connects the sway bar to the lower control arm just twisted off like taffy. So I am short one bolt. Two trips to the auto stores and no luck finding the right bolt. Anyone know where to get one?

Appreciate any feedback on that.

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 10-24-2021, 08:29 AM
Brad426

Garage
Why would Jeep reimburses you?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-24-2021, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

Why would Jeep Reimburse me?

Vehicle is under recall for this defect. They have to.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2021, 10:27 AM
Brad426

Garage
So why not have Jeep do the entire job?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-24-2021, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
So why not have Jeep do the entire job?
If it were only that easy. Did not want to pay for a wrecker to pull it & not comfortable moving it (wrecker or drive). With the condition of the rear control arms the axle had no support. I was lucky enough to have this happen within a mile of my home and changing these out was not a big deal. Just PIA trying to find that bolt that broke. Found a bolt that will work. It's a Dorman M12 1.75 x 50 mm hex bolt. Had to trim about 10 mm off the length to get it to snug down. Used old parts to thread the cut bolt. Works.

Last edited by Glastron1; 10-24-2021 at 02:11 PM. Reason: update
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2021, 03:48 AM
ReignChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glastron1 View Post
Vehicle is under recall for this defect. They have to.
So you never got the recall work before? Are you the original owner? And if not, are you sure a previous owner never got it replaced under the recall? Because I don't think they'll replace it for a 2nd time.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2021, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Glastron1
2007 KJ Liberty 

recall

I drove it off the showroom floor. Owned our current home way before I bought this Jeep. No recall info received on this via phone or mail. Jeep asked me to take it to a Jeep dealer for inspection to make sure the parts were up to their standards (Mopar does not sell this part) and installed correctly. Shop inspected and approved both. Mechanic said these parts were better than what they get. Jeep advised me they are cutting me a check a couple days after that. Hope they will recall front (shocks, struts, control arms, etc) end and I get the notice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in