2003 Liberty 5speed tanny noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
pointmasteriam

2003 Liberty 5speed tanny noise

Ok, so I have scoured this site and found some useful information, however, I need to clarify some things. My screech began upon starting up the Jeep to warm it up last Friday. It is very sporadic in it's noise.

It will screech constantly at times. Louder when I push in on the clutch and changing gears. It will lighten up a little as I am accelerating or vice versa. It will then screech a little less loud while idling. It sounds as thought it is metal grinding at a very high pitch, as in a machine shop.

Other times it will simply go quiet for no reason and be completely normal.

Ther have been times where I will tap on the clutch and the screech will go away.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, but it is loud as can be at it's loudest and annoying as can be when driving or idling.

I have read that it's the throw out bearing. It is being looked at in 2 days by a mechanic who couldn't get me in until then. I do a lot of driving and am uemployed, so this is not good.

I have 145k miles on it and don't believe the fluid has ever been changed (but cannot confirm that).

So, with all this being said....is there anything I can do to quiet it down without replacing it for the moment? Is there something I can do to fill, inspect or otherwise make sure there is enough fluid in it?

OR......am I just F'd?

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointmasteriam View Post
Ok, so I have scoured this site and found some useful information, however, I need to clarify some things. My screech began upon starting up the Jeep to warm it up last Friday. It is very sporadic in it's noise.

It will screech constantly at times. Louder when I push in on the clutch and changing gears. It will lighten up a little as I am accelerating or vice versa. It will then screech a little less loud while idling. It sounds as thought it is metal grinding at a very high pitch, as in a machine shop.

Other times it will simply go quiet for no reason and be completely normal.

Ther have been times where I will tap on the clutch and the screech will go away.

There is no rhyme or reason to it, but it is loud as can be at it's loudest and annoying as can be when driving or idling.

I have read that it's the throw out bearing. It is being looked at in 2 days by a mechanic who couldn't get me in until then. I do a lot of driving and am uemployed, so this is not good.

I have 145k miles on it and don't believe the fluid has ever been changed (but cannot confirm that).

So, with all this being said....is there anything I can do to quiet it down without replacing it for the moment? Is there something I can do to fill, inspect or otherwise make sure there is enough fluid in it?

OR......am I just F'd?

Thanks, Mike
Sounds like the throwout bearing...may as well replace the complete clutch assembly while you are about it.
Could also be the Spigot Bearing inside the flywheel.

Worth replacing the transmission oil if you have not already done so....do not listen to people who tell you to use ATF+ fluid...there is special Mopar gear oil for this gearbox. You can top up the fluid by removing the fill-up bolt on the side of the transmission...fill it till it starts to flow out. If you intend draining and re-filling the gearbox...always first make sure you can get the top filler bolt off...this is in case you first drain the oil then find that you cannot remove the filler bolt or it snaps off.

I recently had my complete clutch assembly and bearing replaced due to clutch shudder caused by towing a heavy loaded trailer a long distance

You can also replace the clutch fluid...there is no drain plug on the slave cylinder...the master cylinder, slave cylinder, reservoir and tubing come as a complete pre-filled assembly...I had mine replaced while still under warrenty due to a squeking master cylinder. You need to use a large syringe or Turkey Baster to suck out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir and re-fill..note the correct cold fill level on the side of the reservoir.

If you do not already have the Service Manuals...download your year model manuals here:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
pointmasteriam

Accrording to YouTube I have to remove the skid plate and all kinds of other things. I don't have that ability, so I will just wait til I get it to the shop tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply

Tags
noise , nv3550 , screech , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in