2002 Liberty Sport - Stuck Radio & Now Told Not the BCM - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
subpopstar
2002 KJ Liberty 

2002 Liberty Sport - Stuck Radio & Now Told Not the BCM

I've finally joined this forum after using it as reference while trying to fix various things on my wife's '02 Liberty Sport. What a wealth of information!

Here's my issue: for the past couple of months the radio (stock OEM w/ six CD magazine) has become stuck when my wife flips between radio stations or adjusts the volume. The radio won't let her turn it off and continues to be powered on even when parked and key removed. The only way to power the radio down has been to disconnect/reconnect the negative battery cable.

After talking to a trusted mechanic and reading about possible causes I thought it might be a BCM issue. Based on other helpful posts here I extracted the BCM and sent it to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY. They just called me and found nothing wrong with the BCM. The tech who worked with it told me he had it on the bench all day yesterday hooked to their diagnosis tool running it through various tests included temperature extremes and other variables. Nothing was found. When I described what had been happening the tech said he understood why I thought BCM and despite the fact about 75% of the units they receive have issues mine wasn't one of them. To their credit, they're returning the unit to me at no charge.

So now I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I once unhooked the battery for about an hour versus my usual disconnect/reconnect and that solved the issue for five days. I'm guessing all the residual power drained and it might've done a hard reset of the system.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Is the next step to look for a short in the electrical harnesses somewhere? Do I use the Liberty as target practice for a grenade launcher? Frustration abounds!

Finally, in case anyone finds this thread in a Google search, these two posts were helpful to me: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/b...cement-1108349 and https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/b...iberty-2650226. I want to give credit where due.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpopstar View Post
I've finally joined this forum after using it as reference while trying to fix various things on my wife's '02 Liberty Sport. What a wealth of information!

Here's my issue: for the past couple of months the radio (stock OEM w/ six CD magazine) has become stuck when my wife flips between radio stations or adjusts the volume. The radio won't let her turn it off and continues to be powered on even when parked and key removed. The only way to power the radio down has been to disconnect/reconnect the negative battery cable.

After talking to a trusted mechanic and reading about possible causes I thought it might be a BCM issue. Based on other helpful posts here I extracted the BCM and sent it to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY. They just called me and found nothing wrong with the BCM. The tech who worked with it told me he had it on the bench all day yesterday hooked to their diagnosis tool running it through various tests included temperature extremes and other variables. Nothing was found. When I described what had been happening the tech said he understood why I thought BCM and despite the fact about 75% of the units they receive have issues mine wasn't one of them. To their credit, they're returning the unit to me at no charge.

So now I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I once unhooked the battery for about an hour versus my usual disconnect/reconnect and that solved the issue for five days. I'm guessing all the residual power drained and it might've done a hard reset of the system.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Is the next step to look for a short in the electrical harnesses somewhere? Do I use the Liberty as target practice for a grenade launcher? Frustration abounds!

Finally, in case anyone finds this thread in a Google search, these two posts were helpful to me: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/b...cement-1108349 and https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/b...iberty-2650226. I want to give credit where due.
Download the 2002 KJ Service Manual here...includes the circuit diagrams.
The radio normally has two +12 volts power leads to the radio...one that only has power ON when ignition is ON or in ACC position and the other supply has power all the time so that the radio time display does not get lost and the Radio Code does not have to be re-entered. There may also be an Antennae Relay and a Choke Relay that may be faulty.

The Service Manual gives you some theory of operation on the Audio system while the Wiring Section will show you where the relays are located and which fuses are involved...at least you could maybe pull a fuse out to reset everything! The only time the BCM becomes involved is if you have the remote controls on the steering....these switches could be faulty or the clock spring could be bad.

Service Manual: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.

Tags
liberty , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in