2002 liberty soft brakes after strut and balljoint replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
thejeepguy1986
1998 ZJ 

2002 liberty soft brakes after strut and balljoint replacement

Hello all im taking a break from working on my 5.9 zj so I decided to work on this 2002 jeep liberty 3.7l auto. I replaced the front control arms struts and balljoints. I got in the car started it and the brakes went to the floor. No codes No lights. So I instantly went over all the lines. No leaks. So I went over the wiring to the abs. the connection turns out the wires to the lower connection with two wires were touching. The rubber was super soft. (most likely from brake fluid) and when I tightened the new strut the socket rubbed the rubber off the wires. So I patched them up. disconnected the battery and everything. hooked it all back up still has soft brakes. bled the brakes with the car off. didn't work. bled them with the car on. again still has soft brakes. Ive bled the bled out three times now. when the cars off the brakes are solid as can be but as soon as I turn the car on there soft. they still stop the car fine and everything but I can not slam on the brakes. its stops from 50mph about 15ft after I slam on the brakes. unless I pump them while driving. I have an abs code scanner and its not getting any codes from the abs unit although it is reading fine. Im at a loss. when I loosen the a bleeder and the peddle goes to the floor the abs and brake light do not come on either. I have a parts liberty. I was tempted to take the abs unit off that one but I think you need a special drb scanner to bleed the abs unit itself. before I bring this thing somewhere does anyone here have any ideas? I don't think it could be air in the system as I used the screwdriver method on the calipers to depress them as it says to in the fsm. I also cleaned the brakes with cleaner and adjusted the rears. Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Brad426

I would check the OEM procedures for bleeding ABS brake systems and for $50.00 I would start by replacing the brake master cylinder. I just did my 2004 because peddle was creeping down while stopped at lights. I do not have ABS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in