06 Liberty ABS, ESP/BAS, traction control lights on - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
bexann3491

Garage
06 Liberty ABS, ESP/BAS, traction control lights on

hi all. my jeep has ABS, ESP/BAS, & traction control lights on. i took it to o'reilly & they scanned it & i got a code for the left rear wheel speed sensor. i changed that out, the wires all looked fine, none broken or corroded. i started the jeep & the lights were still on. drove it around the block & then up to the gas station about a mile away, got back & shut it off & started it again & they were still on. i disconnected the battery & left it for a few hours & the lights were still on after i reconnected the battery & started it. so i went back to o'reilly today & they scanned it again. i got a few codes: C1020 left rear wheel speed sensor circuit(this was the original code they got at o'reillys the first time). U0002 Can C Bus off Performance. & U1417 implausible left wheel distance signal received. so i'm wondering a few things. one: why would i still be getting the same code for the wheel speed sensor after i changed it? & two: what do those other codes mean? the jeep has been driving just fine, no problems accelerating, no bucking/jerking, no grinding, & the brakes work fine. i've read when other people have these lights they have problems with how it drives. the guy at o'reilly told me if it's driving fine, no problems, then don't worry about the lights. i'm not really worried about the lights but i want to sell the jeep & i don't know if anyone will want to buy with all these lights on. any suggestions as to what i should do next? i've checked all 4 wheel speed sensor wires & they look fine, no corrosion & no damage. i've seen some people say there could be a problem with the abs module?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2019, 12:45 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

trying to help - I think if we clear up C1020 the others MAY clear.
Why did you change the wheel sensor?
I would work the C1020 first,
Possible Causes
WIRING HARNESS, TERMINAL, CONNECTOR DAMAGE
(B4) LEFT REAR WSS 12 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE, GROUND, OR OPEN
(B3) LEFT REAR WSS SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE, GROUND, OR OPEN
(B3) LEFT REAR WSS SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (B4) LEFT REAR WSS 12 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
LEFT REAR WSS
ANTI-LOCK BRAKES MODULE

C1020-LEFT REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT
>>Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor circuit fails the diagnostic test.

U0002-CAN C BUS OFF PERFORMANCE
>>A module detects a short in either CAN C Bus circuit

U1417-IMPLAUSIBLE LEFT WHEEL DISTANCE SIGNAL RECEIVED
>>implausible signal over the CAN C circuit from the ABS Module.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 07:55 AM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

First, use a scanner to clear the codes. Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear them. We don't use that practice anymore. It can cause more problems than it is worth on newer vehicles. I know Libby's are 'old' now, but they actually have quite a bit of electronic wizardry inside them. Did you make sure the ABS ring doesn't have any busted teeth?

The left rear isn't talking to the bus, so I would be more concerned about the U0002. An ABS module could cause that. Since everything else is working the ABS module is a prime suspect.

Has the Jeep mean modified in any way? Light bars, big tires, stereo system, anything? U0002 usually means the CANbus has a low voltage condition or has a bad connection somewhere in the wire. I've seen people overload their electrical system with a bumping system and it triggers these kind of codes. Even a bad ground somewhere can trigger a bus error. When I see a CANbus code it means the O'Reilly scanner ain't gonna help you. You'll need to break out professional diagnostic tools because chasing bus errors takes a little more time.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

post #4 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
bexann3491

Garage
i changed the sensor because i thought that was the problem but i guess i misunderstood the code. i searched the code online & alot of people said they changed the sensor & that code when away. i undertand the possible causes but i have no idea what to do to fix the problems. any ideas? no the jeep hasnt been modified.

-Bex
post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
bexann3491

Garage
no the jeep hasnt been modified at all. it was actually parked for awhile but i started it & moved it around the driveway every week. so then after sitting it just randomly had all these lights pop up.

-Bex
post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM
RussB81
2004 KJ Liberty 

That info helps. That leads back to an ABS issue, and the bus error would then trigger because the module is reporting a circuit fail to the PCM. The rear sensor has been replaced, so the chances of it being bad are pretty low. The wiring from the sensor to the module could cause the problem. Since most of that is in protected areas I'd look at the exposed sections of wire under the hood and in the wheel well. It could have an internal break in the strands, or rubbed on something and shorted/broke. If it is a wiring issue you'll have to splice the bad section. If the wiring and connectors are good look at the ABS module. It may need to be replaced. I don't have '06 diagrams handy, but find the ABS wiring diagram and ring out some wires.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
bexann3491

Garage
any idea where the abs module is? i keep hearing about it but every thread i've read, doesn't say where it is. under the hood i would assume, or am i wrong?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

located right under the master brake cylinder...
the above wiring diagram has the wiring including the LR sensor connector and the ABS connector pin out...
I would start checking the 12v at sensor, circuit B4.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Tags
jeep liberty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in