06 ABS module issues? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-01-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
lacerocks
2006 KJ Liberty 

06 ABS module issues?

I've done a bunch of research, but I'd like a second opinion before I go and throw any more money at parts.

Originally, esp/bas, traction and abs lights were on. They came on occasionally and would usually disappear. Now they're solid. I believe this began right after I hit a deer on the front drivers side. Ran my scanner and was pulling up U1418 (implausible wheel distance signal - right). So, just having the front right hub replaced, I replaced the rear sensor. No luck. Replaced front abs sensor. Still no luck.

I look over the wiring and it appears to be fine. I ohm test the sensors after yanking my rear seat out and breaking both seat belt clips (UGH!), and they were okay. I run another scan and now it's throwing U1417 codes (implausible wheel distance signal - left). So, I replaced the rear sensor today. Still no luck. I am also now getting an intermittent emergency brake light on the dash..while driving.

I took the Jeep to autozone and used their abs scan tool. It was saying that all sensors were bad and can bus c was not communicating. The guy there was telling me it could be a possible issue with the abs module. This is seeming more and more likely while I lay out the issues at hand.

Now, here's where I stand -
Is the module the real issue? If so, do I attempt to repair the module myself? Cracking it open, checking solder points and resoldering (I'm not that skilled in soldering) if necessary.
or
Send it off to someone who can handle the resoldering for me?
orrrrr
Buy a new module and have it programmed?

I just spent $2600+ to have the transmission rebuilt, $700 on tires, had $2500+ in body work done, and now need to fix the front end from the deer accident, along with all new tpms sensors. It has far surpassed its value in repairs as it is, so I'd rather not drop $500+ on a new module if I can help it. This is an 06 limited with 176k miles. Its time is limited! Lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM
cheerdad

similar issue

I'm having a very similar issue with my 2006 Liberty. I just bought it a few weeks ago and on the way home the abs/esp and traction control lights all came on. It has a good bit of rust on the brake rotors since the previous owners said it sat for a while...I'm beginning to realize why. I replaced the rear rotors and wheel speed sensors. Disconnected the battery for a while and all lights went off until I drove about 60 miles and they came back on. I did a continuity test from the wire harness at the abs module to the rear sensors and they were fine so my wires are good and rear sensors are new. Taking it to get scanned tomorrow and I'll post results and follow this thread. Hopefully we can both figure this out.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 09:28 AM
2006 KJ Liberty 

2006 CRD Liberty
125K miles.
I had a similar issue last summer.
Problem appeared when I fired it up and drove it on a paved road in front of my house in a serious downpour.
Lights/random lock-ups and codes.
Went on for weeks.

I know you both said you checked the wiring and replaced a sensor or two at the hubs.
I mention this because it's the cheapest/fastest way to eliminate some guesses or assumptions.
One of the easiest things to do to just cut out some unknowns is to go to NAPA and order the two rear ABS sensors and swap them into the wheel hubs.
If you think the last few inches of wiring may have been abused at the ABS sensors there's a replacement socket kit for a few extra bucks/side so you can eliminate that unknown as well.

I screwed around for weeks between dealers and repair shops making guesses about what the scans and codes were saying, so I just spent approx $50 and an hour replacing the sensors in my garage.
The sockets are still sitting new and clean in the boxes on my shelf.
All my codes/lights and random brake lock-ups were solved right there.

You might instead or additionally have issues with the front sensors, all the hub sensors are prone to rust/corrosion internal damage as well as intermittent continuity in the wiring due to flexing as the suspension articulates.
Sometimes it's due to a mechanic pulling on the wires while doing a brake inspection or swap.
You might have to, but I didn't have to go any deeper into the issue than what I said above.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
lacerocks
2006 KJ Liberty 

Both of my rear sensors have been replaced. I pulled back the sheathing near the connectors and everything looked okay.

Still up in the air with this, so I ripped the ABS module off and cracked it open.

Here are some photos. Not a clue what I'm looking at, to be honest, but it's a start. I was hoping I would see something noticeable. I may just end up sending this off to bba-reman and have them at least test it and repair if possible. Starting to think the liberty abs modules aren't as easy to repair as others.

i.imgur.com/bdU2FZf.jpg

i.imgur.com/CgmjeM0.jpg

Ugh, forum won't let me post them with such few posts.

06 KJ
03 TJ - Sold :(
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I think 556 has some good advice. I doubt the ABS unit is faulty...although possible...these units are pretty reliable.

I do not have ABS on my early Export 2002 CRD so cannot pretend to be and expert here but I am concerned that your problem happened after hitting a Deer up front.

The wiring harness for these KJs do not take the shortest route from A to be but rather runs right around the whole engine bay and though a channel under the radiator....at least this is the case with my RHD CRD and I believe it is the same on all JKs. There are a couple of large connectors along the route of this main harness...check the wiring diagrams for which connectors and their location.

My partner front ended the front right of my Jeep when a tree jumped in front of her. After the repair shop fixed the damage I had about 6 wiring problems that I had to repair within the wiring harness. For instance when I turned on the front wipers the engine would die and grind to a halt. With wipers turned OFF the Jeep would run again. When A/C kicked in same problem etc. It is impossible on my Jeep at least to get to this large harness up front so I had to isolate the units such as the wiper motor by unplugging it. Then I measured the appropriate wire's resistance to chassis with regards to chassis and found slight leakage to earth. I had to cut the wires off all ends of this leaking circuit...including splices...and would still measure this slight leakage to chassis. This means that the wires inside the harness up front were chaffing through to chassis or chaffing through to some other random wire inside the harness.

Only way to fix this is to physically cut off all ends of the circuits wires and replace them with new wires..in my case I took the shortest route ie. direct from the wiper motor to the fuse/relay box under the hood as apposed to traveling all the way around the engine bay.

I then moved onto the next problem in the same way....six bad wires in all....neatly bound up the new wiring and left a copy of my changes under the front seat of the Jeep for the next owner of this Jeep to find!

This is not easy work if you are not pretty good at electrical fault finding which fortunately I am as it was my profession for 34 years so I hope that your problem does not sit in a damaged harness up front!

If you do not have the wiring diagrams then download the Service Manual for your year KJ here....includes wiring diagram.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Edit to add: If any of the 2006 KJ owners posting here with similar problems have the CRD model...a lot of funny electrical problems are caused by the wiring harness behind the Fuel Filter Head Assembly chaffing down to chassis....this assembly needs to be removed and the wiring there inspected.

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
lacerocks
2006 KJ Liberty 

Took the abs module off and cracked it open. I didn't realize bba-reman was $250 + shipping, so I had a friend touch up the soldering and still no luck. For that much, I'll buy a new one and have it flashed. I lost my speedometer and tach with the abs module off, so I rtv'd it up and threw it back on until I figure out a solution.

The only thing left to check would be front left sensor and wiring again. Which still doesn't 100% explain the bus not communicating. At this point, I'm ready to take it into the shop. I've spent more than enough time trying to diagnose and repair.

06 KJ
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerocks View Post
Took the abs module off and cracked it open. I didn't realize bba-reman was $250 + shipping, so I had a friend touch up the soldering and still no luck. For that much, I'll buy a new one and have it flashed. I lost my speedometer and tach with the abs module off, so I rtv'd it up and threw it back on until I figure out a solution.

The only thing left to check would be front left sensor and wiring again. Which still doesn't 100% explain the bus not communicating. At this point, I'm ready to take it into the shop. I've spent more than enough time trying to diagnose and repair.
Yeah, when the ABS goes out - it tends to take the speedo with it.

The ABS basically counts wheel revolutions to determine which wheel is spinning too quickly and needs to be 'slowed down'

Thats some of the same circuitry that runs the speedo.

I read that the odo isn't affected for reasons I disremember.

If you have a sunroof, and it's possible that it leaks, it *can* leak enough to allow the carpet padding to be we under the carpet without actually flooding the vehicle.
The ABS wiring to the rear axle runs under the carpet under the drivers seat and passes through a hole in the floor pan under the rear seat.
I dont recall whether the wiring splits off the loom into left/right before or after it exits the interior though.

Last edited by 556; 07-11-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: The keyboard let me speel 'sunroof' as 'sunroor.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
lacerocks
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556 View Post
Yeah, when the ABS goes out - it tends to take the speedo with it.

The ABS basically counts wheel revolutions to determine which wheel is spinning too quickly and needs to be 'slowed down'

Thats some of the same circuitry that runs the speedo.

I read that the odo isn't affected for reasons I disremember.

If you have a sunroof, and it's possible that it leaks, it *can* leak enough to allow the carpet padding to be we under the carpet without actually flooding the vehicle.
The ABS wiring to the rear axle runs under the carpet under the drivers seat and passes through a hole in the floor pan under the rear seat.
I dont recall whether the wiring splits off the loom into left/right before or after it exits the interior though.

I do have a sunroof, but I just pulled up the rear seat and was testing the wiring to the rear sensors under the carpet there. All was dry.

Off to the beach with my daughters for the weekend. I'll get back to it soon! I appreciate all the input thus far!

06 KJ
post #9 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 04:47 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerocks View Post
I've done a bunch of research, but I'd like a second opinion before I go and throw any more money at parts.

Originally, esp/bas, traction and abs lights were on. They came on occasionally and would usually disappear. Now they're solid. I believe this began right after I hit a deer on the front drivers side. Ran my scanner and was pulling up U1418 (implausible wheel distance signal - right). So, just having the front right hub replaced, I replaced the rear sensor. No luck. Replaced front abs sensor. Still no luck.

I look over the wiring and it appears to be fine. I ohm test the sensors after yanking my rear seat out and breaking both seat belt clips (UGH!), and they were okay. I run another scan and now it's throwing U1417 codes (implausible wheel distance signal - left). So, I replaced the rear sensor today. Still no luck. I am also now getting an intermittent emergency brake light on the dash..while driving.

I took the Jeep to autozone and used their abs scan tool. It was saying that all sensors were bad and can bus c was not communicating. The guy there was telling me it could be a possible issue with the abs module. This is seeming more and more likely while I lay out the issues at hand.

Now, here's where I stand -
Is the module the real issue? If so, do I attempt to repair the module myself? Cracking it open, checking solder points and resoldering (I'm not that skilled in soldering) if necessary.
or
Send it off to someone who can handle the resoldering for me?
orrrrr
Buy a new module and have it programmed?

I just spent $2600+ to have the transmission rebuilt, $700 on tires, had $2500+ in body work done, and now need to fix the front end from the deer accident, along with all new tpms sensors. It has far surpassed its value in repairs as it is, so I'd rather not drop $500+ on a new module if I can help it. This is an 06 limited with 176k miles. Its time is limited! Lol.
Glad I don't have ABS, lol. Now in case you haven't learned, you must take what you get from autozone with a grain of salt. Their "scan tools" are questionable at best, and can trigger codes due to their inexpensive design. Taking advice from them is no different than asking the kid at McDonalds how to cook a mean brisket. Now where did you measure your resistance at, from the connector closer to the wheels, or at the abs module connector? What you get by the wheels isn't as important as what you get at the module. Testing at the module will tell you if there is an issue in the wiring. While modules fail, most are replaced with no reason. Reman'ing modules is lucrative, because half or more of your cores are perfectly fine! You can see the signals from the abs sensors if you have a graphing meter.

Tags
abs , liberty , module

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in