04' Liberty 3.7 Rough Idle and Shaking - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
xjeepliberty04x

04' Liberty 3.7 Rough Idle and Shaking

Okay, here is the problem. I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 and its idling really rough. I just made a trip back from the smoky mountains in Tennessee. While I was going up a hill near the top, the pressure popped off my cap for water. I thought it blew the head gasket but the engine never heated up. Also, there's no water in the oil when I check the dipstick. I thought that it must be a coil pack, lead, spark plug etc but the only code that is being thrown is a code for the speed sensor (Speedometer just went out before the trip). When I lay on the gas pedal it won't get up and go, it just starts to shake. My question is, what could it be? Could it be the transmission? Any help would be very much appreciated. I leave town this Thursday 7-31-15 to drive 1,100 miles. (Hopefully!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm assuming no CEL? Did coolant spill on the 2-4-6 coils? If you got liquid down there it could cause these issues but seems like you'd get a code.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
xjeepliberty04x

The CEL is on but the only code that is being tripped is the one for the speed sensor (the speedometer doesn't work). Theres no code that is related to the ignition system. And to answer your question, yes some water did get all over the left side of the engine bay. I'm just really stumped. Looking into getting a pressure, and head test.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 AM
finally03gt

Had a 2003 Mustang do this to me after repairing a coolant leak near a coil pack. Mine would idle ok, but started missing under a load. Never got a miss fire code, but I put an inline a spark tester in and noticed on pack was weak. I reached down to check the connection and found my problem in a hurry. Ouch! Moral of the story, if the pack is firing the ECU thinks all is well. But if the pack has a ground fault (electrical path to a place other than the plug) the electric charge is still there, just part of it is going to the head (or the mechanics fingers), creating a weak spark.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'd pull the coils and make sure they are all dry and there is no water/coolant laying down where the plugs are.

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China

Tags
help needed , idle issue , ignition , shaking , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in