03 liberty limited edition 3.7 4 wheel drive - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tommy Mac53723

03 liberty limited edition 3.7 4 wheel drive

I'm not mechanically inclined therefore, I need help with a few issues. First... I noticed out of the blue, my front passenger tire is making a grinding sound when i make a sharp left turn. By accident yesterday, i noticed what's going on... I've never had work done on the front end, but the lower bolt in the sway bar link is grinding into the rim when i make a sharp left turn. The bushings appear to be good. Next... the steering wheel doesn't come back to the home position.It steers normal, but i have to constantly return it to the home position, or I'll go in a complete circle, and I'm constantly fighting the wheel back and forth. Lastly... when I go over any uneven pavement,it feels very loose, almost like it wants to roll over. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 AM
RussB81

2004 KJ Liberty 

The lower bolt on the sway bar link is rubbing? Do your wheels turn like 90 degrees? It sounds like your rack and pinion is gone if it is putting a wheel into the sway bar bolt. The ball joints and wheel hubs have a relatively short life on KJ's too. If you have never had work done on it I'd say you are definitely due for tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, and new wheel hubs. Then have it aligned. That is a weekend job for a DIY guy. None of it is that hard, just time consuming like all suspension work is.

A shop could do it in a day but you'd be looking at about 6 to 8 hours of labor plus parts that potentially puts you into the 'cost more than the vehicle is worth' category. If that didn't do it you'd need new steering gear (rack and pinion), and that books as a 6 hour job on the 4WD models.

'04 KJ
'91 XJ, government fleet model with 0 options, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinders, and 5 speeds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in