Ventura

Email Bookmark Print
PTVincent

Jeep Information

Year:2007

Model:Grand Cherokee Overland

Engine:3.0CRD

Hello from Portugal.
Just got it a few days ago, and now will do a proper maintenance before starting to put some miles.
So, hope to learn with you guys, and also participate as possible to.
Best regards to all
Vincent.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Jlink74
View Jlink74's Jeep
01-23-2021, 11:36 AM
Jeep WH Maintenance
Vincent,
I just saw your post today. That is a nice looking vehicle. I have a USA version which we refer to as a WK which has the same engine as yours. I will be very glad to assist you with any questions that you may have. You might want to check the seal on the elephant hose from the air filter to the turbo inlet. The newer seal is black. The original seal is orang and should be replaced. I have found a wealth of information on these Jeepís at www.wkjeeps.com.
All the best,
Joe

PTVincent
View PTVincent's Jeep
01-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Hello.
Well, already saw some videos with common faults in this vehicles.
Mine already stalled... also after running a while(1hr). When colled down all is well. Error is P0335.
Already removed all above/bellow engine covers, and waiting for crank sensor, diagnose icarsoft tool, and torx set for proper sensor replacement and future maintenance.

Also read about Swirl Motor failure due leaking turbo gasket. I will check it and probably buy & install gasket to prevent future issues. For now, during few miles i've done, no issues there.

One thing that got's me worried is carbon buit up on air intake. I saw some nasty cloged up air intakes, and cleaning them is a massive undertake. Do you know any way of try to clean them up, or prevent from future carbon built, without having the risk of damage any internal device (particle emissions filter, cats, etc,etc...)?

Best regards Joe,
Vincent.

Jlink74
View Jlink74's Jeep
01-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Intake Cleaning etc.
Vincent, I do not have any experience cleaning the intake as you suggested. Based on my research, it should not be done while the cylinder heads are installed on the engine. If you find out something different, please let me know. My understanding is that regular file changes with MB 229.51 spec oil is helpful in reducing buildup on the swirl flaps. I use Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech Motor Oil 5W-30 and find it a good choice for this engine. Liquid Moly is a best seller in Germany. I also use Hengst E71H D141 oil filters and change my oil at 6250 miles (10,400 KM) interval instead of the longer interval. My biggest concern is the life expectancy of the oil cooler seals. No major leaks detected so far. I have over 183K miles (300,000 km) on my vehicle. I have also replaced the PCV valve to be sure the crankcase is breathing properly. By the way, if you ever see the engine fault indication engine under boos or over boost, most likely it is the turbo actuator. I had min rebuilt by a company in Canada for around $250US and it works fine. The service comes with a lifetime warranty as well. I was unable to source the part as new from Garrett in the USA. Mopar wanted over $7000 us for a new turbocharger.
All the best to you as you learn more about your vehicle.
Regards,
Joe

Jlink74
View Jlink74's Jeep
01-25-2021, 02:30 PM
2007 Jeep GC Ignition Switch Recall
Vincent, Here is a thought... The stalling might be related to the ignition switch problem experienced by some owners. Chrysler posted a recall in 2014 and will replace the ignition switch free of charge. In the early days with my '08 JGC, I had the engine shut off after hitting a bump at low speed. The weight of my keys on the key ring was too much for the original ignition switch. I had it replaced under the recall. Here is the full text of the recall.Recall Number
Recall Number 14V438000
Recall Date. 07/21/2014
Component ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH07/21/2014
Component ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Summary
This defect can affect the safe operation of the airbag system. Until this recall is performed, drivers should adjust their seat to allow clearance between the driver's knee and the ignition key, and remove all items from their key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005-2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 11, 2004, to July 5, 2007, and 2006-2007 Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured January 31, 2005, to July 5, 2007. In the affected vehicles, the driver may accidentally hit the ignition key with their knee, unintentionally knocking the key out of the run position, turning off the engine.
Consequence
If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the OFF or ACCESSORY position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
What Owners Should Do
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ignition switch, free of charge. Chrysler sent interim notifications to owners in September 2014. The recall began on October 9, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P41.

PTVincent
View PTVincent's Jeep
01-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Cool info.
Great info Joe.
According to vehicle symptoms and all reports in this forum and on web, seems to me that i might have 2 separate issues.
Swirl Valve motor(Happen once, did not stall and got into limp mode) and crank sensor(Stall a couple of times after a good run).
Typical synptoms for ignition barrel/switch does not fit to what my GC had done untill now. But I will definitly try to see if recall was already been addressed by previous owner.

So, for now will make the following interventions:

Replace Crank Sensor
Replace turbo intake hose (new black seal)
Remove crank breather hose from intake hose (The so called EHM).
Install resistor terminal on Swirl Valve Motor
Change all fluids and hit the road.

I need this vehicle to be reliable. It will be for daily driving small trips, and 300miles weekend driving. Carrying the wife, kid, dog, etc,etc...
So, just waiting for parts (Intake hose & seal, resistor terminal, crank sensor) & tools (Torx set & icarsoftv2).
Grease tasks will probably have them made by the local mechanic, giving him all fluids and just paying the labor hours.
Regarding key/barrel issues on cars.... it's not the first time I see all sort of electrical problems being solved by just key barrel lubricating with electrical spray. Actually happen to me 2 days ago with my current daily car.(260.000*km very reliable 2004 Nissan Primera 1.9dci).

If you can remember something else that might be important, I surely appreciate.
Many thanks,
Vincent.

PTVincent
View PTVincent's Jeep
02-12-2021, 04:16 AM
Crank Sensor replaced
Good morning to all.

I was thinking in creating a new thread regarding my thoughts about this crank sensor common issue, at least for the 3.0 MB V6 diesel engine in 2005-2008 versions.

When installing the new sensor, i noticed that the small heat shield plate when refitted, can touch the sensor. Specially when you are torquing the bolt down.

It as some kind of "play" and it can be push up with one hand while torquing with the other, hence leaving it a bit (some 5mm) away from the sensor.

I'm thinking that if this plate is so close or even touching the sensor, it will do exactly the opposite for what it was meant to.

It will in fact, transfer all collected heat from exhaust manifold to the crank sensor, wich eventually can kill the sensor itself.
Just my thought on the matter.

Change the sensor yesterday, done a few miles(30) and seems all ok. Will have to drive it a bit longer a few more times just to be sure.

Regards,
Vincent.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome