Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WJ questions

567 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  antcrawler 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

I just bought a WJ last weekend for $300 bucks. Needs a new transmission, but the PO sold it to me with a replacement trans and tcase. So I just need some sweat equity and I’ll be there.
I’ve never owned a WJ before—some XJs and a Renegade—but never a WJ. PO just bought a truck instead and didn’t want a project car.
PO bought it with a 3” lift, 31.6” tires, roof rack and a ton of tint work. Has the 4.0 with the 42RE. I believe it has the 242 tcase.

So I guess my question is this…

I’m thinking of being lazy and just not adding any further modifications, but I haven’t been off road with it yet. I am not into heavy duty crawling, but I like going places that I wouldn’t have been able to go without a 4x4. Pretty much anything doable with a 4wheeler (within reason) is what I want to be able to do. Can I leave ‘er be? My original plan was to build up my ‘92 Isuzu Rodeo, but I couldn’t say no to such a cheap rig, with more aftermarket support than a Rodeo. It already has bigger tires and lift, and I wouldn’t feel bad if I rolled it or blew it up.
But, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to check with the hive mind of the internet before I did so.
Thanks,
ant

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you asking can you wheel it after you replace the tranny and it work well? Yes they are fine off road. But to be hardcore you want lockers for actual 4 wheel drive. Good tires help a bunch though.

#3 ·
I guess my question is what would make it off road just enough to handle mid grade difficulty trails after I get it fixed up? Also, there are so many little nuances to each model of Jeep, I just wanted to ask other WJ owners if there were other things besides wheels, tires, and lift that are unique to a WJ that they would recommend to be upgraded or replaced. For example, a lot of guys get an sye on the Jeeps with shorter rear drive shafts. Some vehicles don't really require an sye, unless you're running bigger lift. Do WJs have anything weird like that?

Also, I don't know why my commas and things aren't working, sorry for the strange text.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.