plakaaa
New York

Jeep Information

Year:2001

Model:Grand Cherokee

Engine:4.0

Transmission:Automatic

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex. I recently purchased a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 32K Miles on it. Everything runs really smooth except I have one small minor issue. Every 10-15 days I have to add antifreeze to the reservoir because it goes to low. No antifreeze drips on the floor, the engine is completely dry, the oil is clean from antifreeze. I changed the radiator cap in the process.
I brought the Jeep to get checked out to a local mechanic. He could not find anything but after I left, about a half hour later, the Jeep overheated for the FIRST time ever and I had the Jeep for about 6 months now. I called him and he mentioned it might be the thermostat that caused it to overheat.

Can someone please give me some help.
Thank you for your time.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

shanek26
View shanek26's Jeep
09-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakaaa View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex. I recently purchased a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 32K Miles on it. Everything runs really smooth except I have one small minor issue. Every 10-15 days I have to add antifreeze to the reservoir because it goes to low. No antifreeze drips on the floor, the engine is completely dry, the oil is clean from antifreeze. I changed the radiator cap in the process.
I brought the Jeep to get checked out to a local mechanic. He could not find anything but after I left, about a half hour later, the Jeep overheated for the FIRST time ever and I had the Jeep for about 6 months now. I called him and he mentioned it might be the thermostat that caused it to overheat.

Thank you for your time.
Try testing the cooling system for combustion gasses. Although the vehicle is extremely low mileage it is still possible that a head gasket is beginning to fail. You can do this test with this tool: Lisle 75500
This will show you if there is an issue with either the gasket or the block/head even if the coolant is not mixing with the oil.

shanek26
View shanek26's Jeep
09-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanek26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakaaa View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your time.
Try testing the cooling system for combustion gasses. Although the vehicle is extremely low mileage it is still possible that a head gasket is beginning to fail. You can do this test with this tool: Lisle 75500
This will show you if there is an issue with either the gasket or the block/head even if the coolant is not mixing with the oil.

Also get yourself an infrared gun and check the radiator for cold spots at operating temp, this would indicate a blockage of some kind.
Hope those tips help, best of luck to you.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome