Model:Grand Cherokee

Engine:4.7 HO

Transmission:5 speed auto

Front Axle:dana 30

Rear Axle:Dana 45

Axle Gear Ratio:3.73

Suspension:stock

Tires:245-70R17

Wheels:OEM Mopar 2018-2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee 17" Wheel Rim Silver Painted 6DQ44GSAAA

Future Modifications:2" Lift

My brother was gifted a pretty nice WJ. After putting in a temp battery, started it up. It blew a hose clap and was screeching from water on the belt as I drove it home. Fixed that--a big relief.

Aside from that it needed tires. Two badly worn, one with a bulging sidewall, the other looked very good. Wheels wer chromed aluminum and the chrome was peeling back. They looked terrible.

Rather than spend $900 on new tires on ugly rims, I looked on Craigslist and found some fairly good Goodyear Fortuna tires on beautiful 17" WK2 rims. The owner of the WK2 had upgraded tires and wheels. We picked them up for $600.

The tires came with lug nuts, in better shape than the lugnuts that came with the Overlander. What I'd like to know is would it be possible to swap lug studs to the larger size, and what is the recommended way to do it? Do you pound out the old ones and drill larger holes and pound in new studs?

It does look like the old lug nuts do not have as many threads so I assume the wheel flange is thicker. I'm sure there is plenty of threads engaged to hold the wheels on, mostly I'd like to use the OEM lug nuts from the newer WK2.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome