Model:Grand Cherokee

Engine:4.0

Transfer Case:np 241

Tires:31"

Wheels:Ravine Wheels

Armor:ARB Bumper

Recovery Gear:Straps and D rings

Future Modifications:Winch, Skid Plates, CB, Lockers

New member but longtime lurker. Here's my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Picked this beauty up for about a grand back at the end of summer after taking a year off from jeeps (It was a sad year). Previously had a Cherokee setup very mildly including a factory tire carrier and a 98 Grand Cherokee TSI that was a lot of fun with the 5.2 v8 and all wheel drive np249.

Chose a zj over other platforms because of price. Wrangler prices in New England are stupid. My father sold a 98 TJ with a completely shot frame for $2k, only had 1 of 4 rear control arms intact. XJ prices are also on the rise with decent examples sitting at about $3k. I bought an xj 5 years ago for $2800 (it was basically perfect 0 rust) and sold it just over a year ago for $2500 with 225,000 on the clock.

The plan for this zj build is to build a daily driver/ weekend warrior for as cheap as possible. Its been done on here 100's of times before but I don't care. I've gained a lot of info from this forum and I'm hoping my experiences can help others. Going to be wrenching hard on it in a couple months to get ready for NEA4WD's Off Roading for Acreage event in June. I'll keep this thread up to date with any progress I make.

Current specs:
-3" rough country lift and upgraded track bar
-31" rando tires on tj ravine wheels
-ARB bumper that looks great in photos but is rusty as hell
-Fully loaded with like every factory option (more electronics to break)

Needed Repairs:
-Transfer case linkage
-Various electrical gremlins
-door pin

Future plans
-winch
-rock sliders
-lockers
-Skid plates

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments