Failed the Emissions Test Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Failed the Emissions Test

Email Bookmark Print
Bnrup

Jeep Information

Because of good ol ‘Rona, I’ve been driving my 95 Orvis edition around with a temp plate and no emissions since February. My tag is practically falling off at this point, so I decided to get ‘er done today! I went in for the emissions test, but failed, with a NOx reading .05 above the limit! -.-

After doing some research, I have found three possible causes of a High NOx reading (all other readings were fine):
-Coolant system not performing, resulting in a high combustion temperature
-Fuel/Air Mixture too lean
-Failed EGR valve

When I hopped back in after my beloved Orvis was run on the Dyno, I noticed the coolant temperature was three-quarters of the way up, the highest it has ever been. She has problems with heating up during idle, so I installed an auxiliary electric fan to supplement the mechanical one. Ironically, the fan is manually controlled, and wasn’t on, during the emissions test. Plausible cause number one.

I recently swapped out the PCV valve, which seemed to resolve a small vacuum leak and high idle. Not sure what else would contribute to a mixture problem, and despite the Check Engine Light sporadically coming on, it has not lit for several thousand miles.

The last time I ran the engine codes, it did indicate a problem with the EGR valve. I am ready to replace this, but cannot even *find* the dang thing! It has dual exhaust manifolds, and I assume the valve may be near the rear of the engine? Seems like a straightforward repair otherwise.

Any thoughts on what else could be my emissions problem? How can I find my EGR valve?
And by the way, I ran a full can of sea-foam through about two months ago. Hopefully that helped.

Cheers in advance!

Tags
None

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome