windshield light mount install help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

windshield light mount install help

im trying to install my windshield light mounts but i cant get the torx screws in the front off, feels like its welded on. stripped one side a bit. any tips? i dont wanna break the winshield by using a hammer to loosen it up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

maybe just use the 3 side bolts, put some double sided tape up front, some light wieght lights and call it a day lol
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

I just installed KC brackets on my Jeep. The drivers side wasn't so bad but the pass side was. I sprayed a little liquid wrench on them and let it sit overnight and they came right out.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Camo Deere

2002 TJ Wrangler 

We stripped about 4 of them, just put electrical tape over the empty holes, had to drill them out

It's a PITA, mine were pretty bad
post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im an electrician so the electrical tape idea works for me
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd heard so many horror stories about those bolts that I went to Sears and got an impact driver since I don't have an air or electric impact wrench. I triple checked that I had the correct size torx bit by trying the next size up as well. That's something I always do with torx because they can be so deceiving and easy to strip. All of the driver's side bolts on my '99 came free with just a standard ratchet, but the passenger's side bolts all needed the impact driver. I found that they all had some amount of threadlocker, so I was also prepared with a torch to apply a bit of heat if absolutely necessary, but fortunately, the impact driver broke them all free. When I put them back in I applied a bit of anti-seize on them as well so they hopefully won't be so troublesome in the future.

HTH,
Adam

'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in