winch question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

winch question

what are the advantages and disadvantages to:

integrated solenoid vs remote solenoid

and are the superwinch ep and epi 9000 good winches? any horror stories?

how do winches hold up to water and mud

06TJ Silver Ruby - REBB w/DT3000s, Quick Discos, Superwinch EPi9.0, Warn engine skid, PS Box Skid, Diff Guards, IPF Lenses, x51s soon
92YJ White - Slight Shackle Lift w/30x9.5 BFG ATs, Custom Beefy Bumpers
06TJ Khaki Sport - Traded in

Last edited by JeepMKcomin; 09-18-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Airbug

remote solenoid lets you mount the solenoid somewhere else, like in your engine compartment or even in your cab which would make it easier or harder to access depending on where you mount it.

I chose an intergrated solenoid becasue I think it looks cleaner and there's less wires running around everywhere.

Everyone says Warn is the way to go for winches if you have the cash, and even though I have a Warn myself, part of me thinks I bought it mostly for the brand name rather than actual performance/reliability Becase I have never seen/heard of anyone complaining that a cheaper winch like Mile Marker, Superwinch or Ramsey fail. I would assume that those other winches are just as reliable/good as Warn.

I've used my Warn 9000i under water a couple times before and so far it has held up well, I don't have any experience with any other winch brands being used under water. If you end up using your winch under water, spray the motor out with some WD40 afterwards.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
fried_gold

I've had a Superwinch EPi 9.0 for the past couple of years and it's worked great for me. I've never stalled it or done any incredibly hard pulls, but it's gotten me out/up/over/through everything I've needed it to. I'm sure there are horror stories out there, even Warn has it's share of those, but from what I can tell the Superwinches have a pretty good reputation.

I also chose the integrated solenoid because of the simple install. You bolt the winch to the winch plate and hook 2 wires to your battery and you're good to go. If you're thinking about a Superwinch and are worried about a clean looking install, check them both out pretty well. The integrated winch actually has 3 wires on the side running from the solenoid to the motor. You hardly notice they're there, but if you looked close, the remote solenoid EP would actually be the "cleaner" looking of the two.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
EaglesSJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouls say stick to a Ramsey or Warn for the american made lifetime warranty reasons. Warn is a little expensive so a nice ramsey isnt a bad idea, I have a warn xd9000i but I mainly bought it because I liked the integrated solenoid look and the fact that I am covered for the rest of my LIFE! Warn will always fix it no matter how I break it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in