Winch Protection for the Elements - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Letzride
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Letzride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Winch Protection for the Elements

What do you guys who have winches do to protect them from the elements? I am rebuilding my winch (other thread) - but it got all corroded because of the salt we have over here.

Wondering what you guys who leave your winches on year round do to protect them? Can you oil spray them, or do other preventative maintenance?


1999 TJ 4" Lift - 33's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Letzride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM
222Doc
Registered User
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 8,913
Garage
no i dont but then again the jeep sits in garage unless its being wheeled, i live in AZ, where well there is way more salt in the food then in the air.. They do make or you could sew your own cover. though moisture can develop under a cover as well.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
222Doc is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,764
Just avoid neoprene winch covers which seem to be the most common sold on places like Amazon and eBay. Neoprene will keep the moisture off only for a short period of time, afterwhich the neoprene will become soaked with moisture and trap it inside against the winch. Neoprene is NOT waterproof as some think it is... it'll soak water up like a sponge.

I would like to find a heavy canvas or similar rugged fabric winch cover for mine but I haven't yet found any that I'd be happy with.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 14,793
My Jeeps are garage kept. I spray oil on them every so often.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Ross is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Letzride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Just avoid neoprene winch covers which seem to be the most common sold on places like Amazon and eBay. Neoprene will keep the moisture off only for a short period of time, afterwhich the neoprene will become soaked with moisture and trap it inside against the winch. Neoprene is NOT waterproof as some think it is... it'll soak water up like a sponge.

I would like to find a heavy canvas or similar rugged fabric winch cover for mine but I haven't yet found any that I'd be happy with.
See I bought one once and it just never seemed to fit on there nicely. It always seemed like it would be a net for catching salt and all the crap they spray on our roads down here that corrode everything.

I remember hearing that you can get some electrical grease or spray that you can put on the terminals that protect it from the elements. I have been debating spraying fluid film on the body of the winch when I reinstall it and hitting it with fluid film maybe once every month or two.

But I also feel like spraying the winch and getting fluid film or whatever else all over the synthetic rope will eat away at the rope or make it all grimey.
Ross likes this.

1999 TJ 4" Lift - 33's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Letzride is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 AM
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 14,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzride View Post
See I bought one once and it just never seemed to fit on there nicely. It always seemed like it would be a net for catching salt and all the crap they spray on our roads down here that corrode everything.

I remember hearing that you can get some electrical grease or spray that you can put on the terminals that protect it from the elements. I have been debating spraying fluid film on the body of the winch when I reinstall it and hitting it with fluid film maybe once every month or two.

But I also feel like spraying the winch and getting fluid film or whatever else all over the synthetic rope will eat away at the rope or make it all grimey.

That is a good point.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Ross is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzride View Post
See I bought one once and it just never seemed to fit on there nicely. It always seemed like it would be a net for catching salt and all the crap they spray on our roads down here that corrode everything.

I remember hearing that you can get some electrical grease or spray that you can put on the terminals that protect it from the elements. I have been debating spraying fluid film on the body of the winch when I reinstall it and hitting it with fluid film maybe once every month or two.

But I also feel like spraying the winch and getting fluid film or whatever else all over the synthetic rope will eat away at the rope or make it all grimey.
That sounds about right to me too. If I drove where the roads were salted I'd still spray some kind of protectant around that area but I'd also cover/protect the rope from the spray before doing so. I am SO thankful I don't have to deal with salted roads here in SoCal. We may have whacko clueless politicians to deal with but at least our roads aren't salted lol.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Letzride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That sounds about right to me too. If I drove where the roads were salted I'd still spray some kind of protectant around that area but I'd also cover/protect the rope from the spray before doing so. I am SO thankful I don't have to deal with salted roads here in SoCal. We may have whacko clueless politicians to deal with but at least our roads aren't salted lol.
Do you spray anything on your winch currently to protect it from mud corrosion?

1999 TJ 4" Lift - 33's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Letzride is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 71,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzride View Post
Do you spray anything on your winch currently to protect it from mud corrosion?
No, though my aversion to mud is well known.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Jerry Bransford is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 AM
RARECJ8
Registered User
 
RARECJ8's Avatar
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Posts: 2,406
We have used a warn factory cover for 15 years. Works great. Not neoprene. UV resistant and keeps the poly line nice and dry. We wheel year round. Snow, mud, hot rocks. Never let us down. Like this

For example.

https://www.warn.com/winch-cover-95ti-9000i-18250

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RARECJ8 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-24-2019, 02:41 AM
RARECJ8
Registered User
 
RARECJ8's Avatar
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Posts: 2,406
We run an 8274 and this works great. $65 on Amazon.
Worth every penny. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
5D88760E-15B0-45EF-B9AE-E1BBB513A369.jpg  

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RARECJ8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome