Winch plate? The extra cost drives me nuts. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Winch plate? Alternatives? The extra cost drives me nuts.

So I'm in the markert for a somewhat minimalist front bumper. I don't want to spend a lot, but would like to get away from Smittybuilt (I have one on my rear - it's Ok, but I still have to take it off, drill a few holes and re-mount it correctly).

I'm running into this cost factor thing with a few brands. Poison Spyder, for example, charges $50 extra for shackle tabs, then states their bumper needs a winch plate, too.

Meanwhile, there seem to be a few bumper designs from other companies that I don't want, but who incorporate an area to mount a winch for much less money.

Is a winch plate just a cut and drilled plate? I have to admit I don't even know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
So I'm in the markert for a somewhat minimalist front bumper. I don't want to spend a lot, but would like to get away from Smittybuilt (I have one on my rear - it's Ok, but I still have to take it off, drill a few holes and re-mount it correctly).

I'm running into this cost factor thing with a few brands. Poison Spyder, for example, charges $50 extra for shackle tabs, then states their bumper needs a winch plate, too.

Meanwhile, there seem to be a few bumper designs from other companies that I don't want, but who incorporate an area to mount a winch for much less money.

Is a winch plate just a cut and drilled plate? I have to admit I don't even know.
Better to get a solid bumper you can mount the winch to without needing a winch plate, which will usually save some weight. A winch plate is just a plate of metal that mounts to your frame rails that you can mount a winch on top of. It will usually go on top of the bumper. Of course, the plate should be strong enough to withstand the full power of the winch without deforming.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
mild96xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

get the dirtbound off road winch bumper, its the shiz

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the responses on what a plate is, gents.

Seems strange bumpers would be made for winches, but then would require winch plates as opposed to just being built to accept a winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild96xj View Post
get the dirtbound off road winch bumper, its the shiz
I didn't know about them, but that looks like the style I was after.

As it is, I went for a SMittyBilt SRC front since they're cheap, and since I won't have a winch for a good while (I won't trust this new-to-me Jeep offroad until I put some other axle in the rear).
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
1320yj

I bought one of these. Free shipping ,shackel mounts and shackels,hardware and winch mount included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDER-87-95...ler&hash=item2

1995 2.5 5 Speed SOA +2.5 rough Country lift, High steer kit , 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

About to install a Barnes 4x4 front bumper/plate. Seems sturdy enough. We'll see.

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj View Post
I bought one of these. Free shipping ,shackel mounts and shackels,hardware and winch mount included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDER-87-95...ler&hash=item2
I looked at that, considered it, but thought the SRC looked better
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 PM
1320yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
I looked at that, considered it, but thought the SRC looked better
Looks is a matter of personal preference but it is a well made bumper worth every dime.My winch and fairlead bolted right up to it. The 2 front bolts on the winch were tricky to get to but not impossable (a good theft deterant).

1995 2.5 5 Speed SOA +2.5 rough Country lift, High steer kit , 33x12.50 Mud Rovers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in