Which Winch??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 05-19-2021, 08:51 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYJEEP320 View Post
My wife has a 2011 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty, I bought this new winch for her and its badass!!!!! The logo even lights up as well plus its a COMP with synthetic rope. The best looking winch IMO.

hamzn.to/3f0Fg91
The jury is still out on this. I do currently have a 4 year old Badlands 9K winch on my Jeep. It owes me nothing at this point but it's also beginning to show it's quality. It's sloooowwww, it's been repaired countless times for corroded wires in the solenoid box and the free/engage lever works sporadically. I'm just extremely hesitant to spend $500 for a HF Apex at this point. I need a reliable, fast winch and don't want to rebuy 5 years down the road.

A winch needs to be reliable, it just needs to work when needed, period. Light up logos? Really? That has nothing to do with a winch's reliability unless you are looking for credibility at the mall.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 05-19-2021, 10:05 AM
ARMYJEEP320

I bought her the GEN3 12K Competition with Synthetic Rope. I mean, its creditable definitely its a Smittybilt, great construction, quality and features. The light logo is a little giggling bonus, but besides that the quality, power and use is amazing! Look it up and research it, it is amazeballs and will work definitely years down the road and when you want it too. Almost 5 star reviews everywhere you go. The best price is on Amazon with the link I sent you above. This has the synthetic rope so that you don't need to worry about RUST and OILING up the cables. Comes with a nice remote and even a flashlight on the remote as well. It has a 7HP Motor!!!!
post #18 of 28 Old 05-20-2021, 01:21 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYJEEP320 View Post
I bought her the GEN3 12K Competition with Synthetic Rope. I mean, its creditable definitely its a Smittybilt, great construction, quality and features. The light logo is a little giggling bonus, but besides that the quality, power and use is amazing! Look it up and research it, it is amazeballs and will work definitely years down the road and when you want it too. Almost 5 star reviews everywhere you go. The best price is on Amazon with the link I sent you above. This has the synthetic rope so that you don't need to worry about RUST and OILING up the cables. Comes with a nice remote and even a flashlight on the remote as well. It has a 7HP Motor!!!!
My bad. YOu never said in your post that it was a Smittybilt. I just assumed it was a Harbor Freight Apex.
JTPhoto likes this.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #19 of 28 Old 05-21-2021, 08:32 AM
ARMYJEEP320

Hahaha no worries. Definitely a great winch and highly recommend. Whenn you use the link I sent you just make sure you choose 12k.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I live in a super remote area, Many of you who are not in the rock climbing/MOAB crowd would consider
my conditions to be wheeling but to me, it is just my daily drive, I get stuck a lot in snow, Not because I don't plow, but because wind driven snow can hard pack it back in an hour, I can leave in good conditions
and come back to impassible road conditions. some times I get in MUD and it's Bentonite which is slicker than snot on a glass door knob, one time I got out and found I could not stand up without hanging on to the jeep. I have 100s of feet of elevation and narrow winding trails to get around here. These are my daily conditions.

I have gotten myself out with a shovel and a rope pull come along with long ropes and pulleys for years.
I don't understand why you need need the huge capacity winches for light vehicles.

A few years ago I got a small ATV winch which has 4+ times the capacity of the rope come along winch and it gets me out of everything.

Here I am on my road and there is 3 feet of hard pack powder that wasn't there a couple hours earlier.

post #21 of 28 Old 06-18-2021, 11:01 AM
JTPhoto

1937 CJ2A 

I donít like when a winch stalls because canít pull the weight. That stress will kill the winch eventually. Buy a winch a bit bigger and not have to worry about over working it. Iíve seen plenty of 8k and 9.5K winches stall on a hard pull trying to get a loaded JKU out of the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #22 of 28 Old 06-18-2021, 03:51 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I don’t like when a winch stalls because can’t pull the weight. That stress will kill the winch eventually. Buy a winch a bit bigger and not have to worry about over working it. I’ve seen plenty of 8k and 9.5K winches stall on a hard pull trying to get a loaded JKU out of the mud.

That's a dangerous philosophy.
You should have more tools than just a winch to do a recovery with.
Wyo likes this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #23 of 28 Old 06-19-2021, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Quote:
I don’t like when a winch stalls because can’t pull the weight. That stress will kill the winch eventually. Buy a winch a bit bigger and not have to worry about over working it. I’ve seen plenty of 8k and 9.5K winches stall on a hard pull trying to get a loaded JKU out of the mud.

….buying a winch that is rated beyond what you believe you need is dangerous??

It’s actually a smart idea… the pulling power of your winch is directly related to the amount of winch like on your spool for any given pull. Also factors like mud or steep angles can increase the force needed for a recovery.

Should you have other tools to help get out of a sticky situation, sure! A winch that is able to pull your rig out and then some should be one of those.
JTPhoto likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Smitty and Quality, the oxymoron of the day.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The # of times I have something in reach that could hold 10 or 12000 when I am stuck is rare., I have 120 feet of rope + the winch cable + various slings and some chain.

Finding a good anchor point is a challenge and snow anchors won't even come close to holding that much pull.. Jack, dig, and light pulls always comes though for me.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-19-2021, 09:10 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ94SBC View Post
Quote:
Quote:

….buying a winch that is rated beyond what you believe you need is dangerous??

It’s actually a smart idea… the pulling power of your winch is directly related to the amount of winch like on your spool for any given pull. Also factors like mud or steep angles can increase the force needed for a recovery.

Should you have other tools to help get out of a sticky situation, sure! A winch that is able to pull your rig out and then some should be one of those.
Listen Jimmy, we all know you have this end all be all winch philosophy but it takes a lot more than that to do the job.
As for pulling cables, I did it for a living for 30 years.
All you're doing is setting the new guy up for failure.

Maybe you should start by reading a few of the 1000's if threads here.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #27 of 28 Old 06-19-2021, 09:56 PM
JTPhoto

1937 CJ2A 

Which Winch???

Quote:
Listen Jimmy, we all know you have this end all be all winch philosophy but it takes a lot more than that to do the job.
As for pulling cables, I did it for a living for 30 years.
All you're doing is setting the new guy up for failure.

Maybe you should start by reading a few of the 1000's if threads here.

Oh really mr smart one. Why donít you explain your opinion of the proper way. Iíd love to hear how buying a bigger winch is dangerous. You use a snatchblock on an 8k and you have now doubled to 16k and thatís safer then just using a 12k winch? Enlighten us all.

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #28 of 28 Old 06-20-2021, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
YJ94SBC

Jimmy…. LOL …this guy cracks me up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in