• 1 Post By fromme
  • 1 Post By Kruzin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Winch ?

I am probably going to spring for a winch with in the next few months, mainly 'cause I dont want to rush to buy a particular one and then have buyers remorse 'cause I didnt do enough research / homework. Main thing that I am wanting to find out is folks that have first hand exp. ( the more the better ) with particular brands of winches. So far I have found things on the web saying good & bad about all of the major brands ( warn , ramsey, smitty )

I know each company has had lemons go out - so one here or there is a wash for me. A couple of the things I am wanting to find out is things like when people had trouble with them how much shat did they get or didnt get, some of the have a 6.5 HP motor then some have a 7 HP- is that 1/2 v enough of a difference to swing a buy one way or another

And how big a deal is the gearing, and the IP 67 or 68 ratings-- I know what those are but if I get a IP 67 sould I be worried about water intrusion

All other helpful input is gladly welcome

Thanks fellas

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 05:30 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would only get one if made here, yes it will cost more. Nothing says its a Jeep more then made in China. I did have a box brand China made one once it did the job but was extremely slow on lines speed and the build quality was horrid. Not sure how the gauge wire in China but must some of that new math. The engage or neutral lever felt clunky and loose.

I do use a winch a lot in a season. When i broke the box branded China one it was all my fault as i shock loaded it and blew the planetary out. When i knuckled up and bought a Warren zeon 10s right from the install i could tell this was a quality part. wires were much larger and had the chafe guarding as well. But there are very supple. The engage and neutral lever is like clock work. The way they hooked up the rope is unique as well. the rope can not come off the spool its chalked in like rock climbers stopper. rather cool. the way it treads through the spool and has the keeper wedge that then is pulled into the slot. Line speed is way faster.

my 2 cents worthless today....
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2020, 04:28 PM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know smittybilt is an extremely popular winch because of its price point and it’s probably a pretty decent winch. In fact its probably as good or better than all the others except Warn. I’m only going to say get a Warn, its made here and they are just better quality. I do personally like the Zeon series and the old tried and true M8000 is a really good basic winch.
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch

post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing really got me to question the warn is they have basically 3 " lines "
a standard , a premium and a ultimate. The price doubles from the standard to the premium, so what the heck makes the middle class worth twice the price? But for me , i could only go with the standard duty-- so that gets me to thinking that maybe the standard dutys are not all that great??

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 AM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about Warn's "lines" but yes they do have some that are a budget line such as the VR series winches. I'd still rather have one of those than a Smittybilt, at least you'll get company support from Warn. You were already told what makes the US made Warns worth the price, quality, company backing and US made. Maybe you could ask Warn why and see what they say.

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 07:54 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I run the Warn Zeon 10S as well. It gets ridden hard and put away wet, and has never let me down. A nice feature of that line is that you can remote mount the solenoid unit, and reduce the frontal surface area - on my rig I can use all the airflow I can get.

Warn introduced their budget lines because they were having their lunch eaten by the cheaper (cost and quality wise) brands. In a large part of the market, price beats quality every time. Iím glad they have done that because it has kept them in business and allows them to continue to produce and sell the higher quality lines.

Itís kind of like Jeep building the Liberty...

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Warn's VR line is actually made in China...but at an actual Warn plant and with a Warn design. You can get repair parts for them like any Warn and they do have the company's real support.
With Smitty (and other budget brands), it's made in China by an unknown company and zero customer support or parts availability if the winch needs repaired. These type are basically disposable once their warranty is over.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in