When to lock ARB's and when not to??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2002, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
dreid33

When to lock ARB's and when not to???

Hey all,

I need some 4-wheeling advice. I have always had vehicles that have open diffs. Well, I am proud to say I just got a new 1994 Jeep Wrangler with ARB in the front and rear.

Here is my question. When should I engage them? I have heard you have more of a chance for breaking axles with ARB's and I do not want to risk that.

Someone told me, when going up hill, use only the rear locker. When crawling on rocks, use both. When on a sideways hill, use neither, because they will walk you sideways. What about loose dirt on steep hills or in muddy terrain?

Does this make sense to everyone? Any advice and personal experience would be appreciated!

I am sure the usually goes as in any 4-wheeling. If you start spinning the tires, lay off the gas or you will bust an axle.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2002, 01:54 PM
osburn

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running ARBs front and rear a long time. You'll find it's not difficult to decide at all. Generally, off road, I run with the rear engaged damn near all the time and only turn on the front if I have the slightest inclination I will need it. Sometimes, when I come to a really rocky section and I will need to make tight turns I leave the front off and only turn it on if I detect slipping. Just about anytime I'm pointed uphill, both ends are on. Downhill, always try to get the front turned off before you head downhill. Steering is a real bear when the front is engaged downhill. On sidehills it is nice to be able to turn both ends off if you don't need them. Lockers can cause sidestepping in this situation.

The only exception to all of this was on a rescue once when I was on stock axles. Concerned with the added stress of towing a vehicle off a hard trail I ran as much as possible with no lockers engaged. But rather than have wheel spin, I engaged the lockers.

I think you'll find as time goes on, you won't even think about their engagement. It will just become second nature much like shifting your tranny.

Matt Osburn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Score 1032

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in