What size winch for my XJ - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-04-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
What size winch for my XJ

I just got a 2001 XJ and was looking into getting a winch, I am leaning more towards hitch mount for the ability of front or back use, what I need to know is what kind of cradle and size of winch I need for a 3500lb or so XJ (as light weight as possible. I'm kinda old and broken) and while am asking good front bumper with 2in hitch mount? Oh and on a budget. TIA

01' XJ, 4.0l, AW4, NP231, D30, CHY8.25, 1.5 RC lift, 30/9.5R15 BFG A/T KO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-04-2020, 01:16 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

You want a winch rated at least 2-2.5x the vehicle's weight. A 9,000lb winch is generally what's used on XJs.
Warn is the industry standard for winches. They do cost more than all the made in China Smittytbilt garbage winches, but they are well worth the extra cost.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 21 Old 09-04-2020, 02:08 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Hitch mounted has to many issues for real trail use as well. It wont be light weight. If the the pull is not straight they do not do well on mounts. You say you are older and broken. Know the feeling. I would not want to have to move that thing around. Were you going to pack it? just leave it hanging off the jeep? they take away a lot of approach angle. if its packed in side the heep that better be mounted as well or it can be come a 100 pounds of flying iron.
jeepster4245 and RevScott like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old 09-04-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I was thinking the hitch style so I didn't have all that weight hanging off the front and then the elements and theft issues. I will be mostly winter time freeway and the fair weather every now and then trail/fire road trip, I don't really do the hard core stuff anymore.
I do know finding a straight pull is not that easy in the desert and the thought of having that thing grenading around inside with my lady in the jeep is not acceptable so very good points guess it will be bumper mount new set of coil springs and try to find a way to protect it from the elements and theft.

post #5 of 21 Old 09-04-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Well after winch shopping online I won't be getting a Warn or Ramsey is there a decent third or forth choice 9000lb winch that I will probably use once or twice a year that wont make me eat nothing but ramen for the next 2 years.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-05-2020, 05:07 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

As with anything on Jeeps, you get what you pay for. Cheap winches are painfully slow, disposable boat anchors.
The lower end Warn VRs aren't as expensive as their top shelf stuff. They're made overseas, but to Warn's specs, are actually serviceable and you can get parts for them. Most low cost winches (Smitty, Harbor Freight, etc.) are completely unserviceable, so when they crap out, you just chuck em.
The 10k VR series with a steel cable is on sale over at Quadratec for under $500, which is pretty competitive:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/vr-...lb-steel-cable

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #7 of 21 Old 09-05-2020, 09:12 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have had both a off brand China made that did well for about 4 years. slOOOOOw very slow. when it did fail it was totally my fault. I was using it as a farm tool to pull fence poles. well on of them had a truck load of cement under ground and i was a bit to determined. when the winch sucked the jeep down to the bumps stops. i gave it a bit of reverse and exploded the planetary gears.

since i need a good winch for the jeep as it is mainly for off road and I dont do to many easy trails. I bought the Warren 10s with rope. expensive yes. But its like a Swiss clock compared to the China one in every way. Fast too. two times faster and smooth.

But since you will most likely not need it much on easy trails any should be better then nothing. Oh and trust me its not just desert you wont find a in line pull. Have had it happen in many well treed areas too. I would be sure to get a few straps as well. they can help when things go Murphy.

you can stand on the bumper. that will about tell you what it sags too.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-05-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I really try to never buy China anything but sometimes the budget has the last say and like you said something is better than nothing at all. I don't know about trying to stand on the stock front bumper for 1) it is plastic, 2) I'm a little to broken to try those sort of things these days (And I have got a case of TMB). Probably just find a way to hang a few hundred lbs off the front end once I figure out how much the bumper and winch will weigh. The positive rake is already about 1-1.5 just from looking at it, I have not measured it yet. Any advice on bumpers again don't want it to brake off my jeep or my wallet.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-05-2020, 11:44 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Dont have a Xj but i think the Xj section would best to ask what bumpers people like and why. But i can say most anything that is going to be under cost is made in China. Especially anything made from steel. Most the popular companies people use are all China. Smitty, Rugged ridge, Rough country and many more are just ChiCom.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I guess I could recon the local 4x4 shop take some measurements and build my own, although I am not that great of a fabricator it would not be my first bumper, I will just have to make it a lot lighter than the last one (had to use a forklift to get the bolts started) but no matter what I hit with it my bumper won every time, (sure made it easy to down dead trees for firewood).

post #11 of 21 Old 09-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Harriedtwo

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDXJ View Post
I was thinking the hitch style so I didn't have all that weight hanging off the front and then the elements and theft issues. I will be mostly winter time freeway and the fair weather every now and then trail/fire road trip, I don't really do the hard core stuff anymore.
I do know finding a straight pull is not that easy in the desert and the thought of having that thing grenading around inside with my lady in the jeep is not acceptable so very good points guess it will be bumper mount new set of coil springs and try to find a way to protect it from the elements and theft.
I'm always going off road and into the desert (I live in a desert) so I have a 9500# Quadratec rope winch. It works well. One thing I've learned to have extras of are snatch blocks. These can be used to change the angle of the line so you can get a good, straight pull with the winch. Years back, I upset my tractor when the wheels went off the ditch I was blading. A friend came over and helped me get it back up on the level and then onto the road. We used ratchet straps, chain, a couple of come-a-longs and lots of sweat to get the tractor off the fence. ( I was lucky, when the tractor went over, the front arm of the front end loader landed against a six ft. 4x4 leaning against the fence; otherwise, it would have rolled over with me on the bottom). With a snatch block we could have gotten the tractor out with much less work.

Now I have at least three blocks in my Jeep at all times just in case. They are very handy!

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #12 of 21 Old 09-16-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriedtwo View Post
I'm always going off road and into the desert (I live in a desert) so I have a 9500# Quadratec rope winch. It works well. One thing I've learned to have extras of are snatch blocks. These can be used to change the angle of the line so you can get a good, straight pull with the winch. Years back, I upset my tractor when the wheels went off the ditch I was blading. A friend came over and helped me get it back up on the level and then onto the road. We used ratchet straps, chain, a couple of come-a-longs and lots of sweat to get the tractor off the fence. ( I was lucky, when the tractor went over, the front arm of the front end loader landed against a six ft. 4x4 leaning against the fence; otherwise, it would have rolled over with me on the bottom). With a snatch block we could have gotten the tractor out with much less work.

Now I have at least three blocks in my Jeep at all times just in case. They are very handy!
I understand snatch blocks well, I drove a winch truck in the oil field and the company I worked for didn't have any, they just forced and broke s*** all the time, so I went and talked to the owner and he had me go get some, $900 later and he almost lost his mind, until three days later it was his truck sitting at the bottom of a 60 ft ravine and the truck that got there before me had been braking stuff for about an hour trying to get him out.
I rigged up and had him out ( with a smaller truck and winch) in about 20 min and nothing broken, then I had to outfit all the trucks and had to show the other drivers how to use them, in the end what he saved in not repairing all the broken stuff and the down time they paid for them selves in about a month.
4Low2G0 likes this.

post #13 of 21 Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDXJ View Post
I understand snatch blocks well, I drove a winch truck in the oil field and the company I worked for didn't have any, they just forced and broke s*** all the time, so I went and talked to the owner and he had me go get some, $900 later and he almost lost his mind, until three days later it was his truck sitting at the bottom of a 60 ft ravine and the truck that got there before me had been braking stuff for about an hour trying to get him out.
I rigged up and had him out ( with a smaller truck and winch) in about 20 min and nothing broken, then I had to outfit all the trucks and had to show the other drivers how to use them, in the end what he saved in not repairing all the broken stuff and the down time they paid for them selves in about a month.
I have some training in rigging, it's amazing to see what one guy and a lot of skill can do.

I believe some can see the rigging solution and some cannot. like a lot of things in life.
OCDXJ likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #14 of 21 Old 09-16-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
I have some training in rigging, it's amazing to see what one guy and a lot of skill can do.

I believe some can see the rigging solution and some cannot. like a lot of things in life.
Very true statement.

The mud we have here is high clay base and when it's deep it has a like a vacuum effect and very sticky, I have tried to pull small oil field pieces out with just cable over tail roll and almost made my truck pop a wheelie, throw on a couple snatch blocks and change the leverage to a more horizontal pull and they came out with little effort.

Trying to explain that to someone who can't find there way out of a wet paper bag with a chainsaw is the hard part.

post #15 of 21 Old 09-16-2020, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I must regress when it comes to computers I'm the idiot with the chainsaw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in