what possi should i run in the front of a Dana 30 front - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
bentleyfab

Garage
what possi should i run in the front of a Dana 30 front

Got a new jeep started taking stuff apart on the front end and realized my axle had welding spatter on it turns out someone welded the front spider gears not sure what to run up there looking for recommendations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 10:42 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

That would depend on what your goal is and how much you want to spend, but you're not going to be running a 'posi' in a front end. Maybe a locker, if that's the way you want to go.
For a more budget fix, there are thousands upon thousands of D30 front axles in salvage yards. Finding a used carrier and gears would be fairly easy.
Mid-range, there are plenty of sources for new carriers, lockers and gears. Just do an overhaul.
Or high-end, you can spend thousands on a complete built axle.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Or watch your local craigslist for someone parting out the appropriate year/model/gear ratio Jeep and just get the whole axle and just swap it in.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 03:06 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What kinda Jeep you have probably will influence your traction device choice, whatcha got ?

The only Limited Slip worth the purchase price is a Detroit TrueTrac.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 05:34 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What kinda Jeep you have probably will influence your traction device choice, whatcha got ?

Don't forget the Powr Lok as well (I'm a bit of a fan).

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 02:00 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

X2. If you want a limited slip, go with the TrueTrac. It is a gear based limited slip so there are no clutches to burn out.

Another option to consider is a "lunch box locker." They are cost effective and re-use your existing carrier (no need to mess with your gears). All you do is swap out the internals. The locker will act like an open diff in 2wd, but lock up when torque is applied in 4wd.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
X2. If you want a limited slip, go with the TrueTrac. It is a gear based limited slip so there are no clutches to burn out.

Another option to consider is a "lunch box locker." They are cost effective and re-use your existing carrier (no need to mess with your gears). All you do is swap out the internals. The locker will act like an open diff in 2wd, but lock up when torque is applied in 4wd.

I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t think you would be able to disassemble a Lincoln locker in order to be able to reuse the carrier.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
I’m not sure, but I wouldn’t think you would be able to disassemble a Lincoln locker in order to be able to reuse the carrier.
Not quite sure what you mean, but there are two types of auto lockers. One is like a detroit full carrier replacement, and the other is a drop in locker that fits into the existing carrier and replaces the spider gears. With the detroit, you will have to re-set your gears because it is a complete unit with it's own carrier. With the drop in lockers like an Aussie Locker, Spartan Locker, etc.; you have to remove the carrier and ring gear from the axle to install them, but you won't have to do any gear set work as long as you don't touch anything else and put everything back exactly the way it was. These "lunchbox" type lockers only replace the factory carrier internals.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 10:16 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean, but there are two types of auto lockers. One is like a detroit full carrier replacement, and the other is a drop in locker that fits into the existing carrier and replaces the spider gears. With the detroit, you will have to re-set your gears because it is a complete unit with it's own carrier. With the drop in lockers like an Aussie Locker, Spartan Locker, etc.; you have to remove the carrier and ring gear from the axle to install them, but you won't have to do any gear set work as long as you don't touch anything else and put everything back exactly the way it was. These "lunchbox" type lockers only replace the factory carrier internals.
The OP's spider gears are apparently welded together to create what effectively is a spool. The term "Lincoln Locker" is used to describe this approach - the reference being to the Lincoln Welder.

You suggested that the OP could install a lunch box locker, which requires removing and replacing the spider gears, and reusing the carrier. The point of my post was that I'm not sure the OP could remove the spider gears and reuse the carrier to do so since the spider gears (and perhaps also the carrier depending on how sloppy the welds are) are welder together.

Make sense?

Jeff

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 11:23 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
The OP's spider gears are apparently welded together to create what effectively is a spool. The term "Lincoln Locker" is used to describe this approach - the reference being to the Lincoln Welder.

You suggested that the OP could install a lunch box locker, which requires removing and replacing the spider gears, and reusing the carrier. The point of my post was that I'm not sure the OP could remove the spider gears and reuse the carrier to do so since the spider gears (and perhaps also the carrier depending on how sloppy the welds are) are welder together.

Make sense?

Jeff
Oh got it! I misunderstood what lincoln locker meant.

Yea I guess it depends how the gears are welded in there if the OP can get them out.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
The tru trac will wear out as well. The difference is the powr lok is rebuildable. It will also take a terrific amount of abuse, to include large tires. Don't get me wrong, I like them both, just pointing out there is more than one option.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in