What is this Jeep? [prototype] - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bolide

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-11-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What is this Jeep? [prototype]

I'll tease everyone with this...it was a prototype Jeep from the 60s, it was then sold (from Jeep to someone) who modified the drive train. The fiberglass tub is original. It is my friend's customer's Jeep (to be restored) This is a cell phone pic please excuse the quality.

DON"T ASK WHO MY FRIEND IS I WON'T TELL YOU.

A Jeeper for life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i call BS. looks like a hacked up combination of a 2nd gen camaro and old nissan Z car
post #3 of 12 Old 10-11-2008, 11:34 PM
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
i call BS. looks like a hacked up combination of a 2nd gen camaro and old nissan Z car
I call BS on your BS Call. That is WAY too tall to be a Z-Car/F-Body "hybrid".

It looks similar to the XJ-002 from 1970, the "Bolide Concept", but the vents between the headlights weren't present in the original concept, IIRC. . .

Check out my Gun Blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:

post #4 of 12 Old 10-11-2008, 11:36 PM
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic I found. Very interesting, but it does have a couple of differences from the pic you posted. . .

EDIT: Holy crap, you know a guy with an original Bolide Concept from 1969!!!!!!!!!! I could tell from the headlight buckets, the wheelbase, and the bulges in the roof. . .

How long has he had it? Does it still have the original 225 V6? That would be a sweet Off-Road Jeep if he did some work to it. . . But I have a feeling it's being restored to original to be shown. . . You wouldn't want to damage a one-of-a-kind fiberglass body in an off-road accident. . .

Check out my Gun Blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
post #5 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OH so thats what it is....Yes it will be restored to stock. It has the 225 in it. And a T-98.

A Jeeper for life
post #6 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
mud-dog27

what a freak of nature......i LOVE it

and im guessin those cross slats(grille) were added for better airflow to the rad or somethin but thats it deffinatly it as you can see the little marker lite below the body lip

very cool

89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit

post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Nonmouse

So, this is obviously a necrothread, but was the restoration completed?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It looks mostly like a worn out green tarp on a roller to me....

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Nonmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
It looks mostly like a worn out green tarp on a roller to me....
Like it says up there^^, it's the XJ-002 Bolide concept from 1969--Kaiser-Jeep's last concept car before AMC bought them. It's not as well-known as its sibling the XJ-001, which was paraded around the country for years, even after the AMC merger, but on the other hand, the XJ-001 is known to have been destroyed in a fire, while this one still exists. And the XJ-001 was only ever treated as a concept, while it appears that Kaiser-Jeep was serious about building this as a production vehicle, even to the point of making up sales brochures for it. And there were a bunch of articles in 2009-2010 talking about how this was undergoing a full rotisserie restoration, so I was curious if anything ever came of it.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonmouse View Post
Like it says up there^^, it's the XJ-002 Bolide concept from 1969--Kaiser-Jeep's last concept car before AMC bought them. It's not as well-known as its sibling the XJ-001, which was paraded around the country for years, even after the AMC merger, but on the other hand, the XJ-001 is known to have been destroyed in a fire, while this one still exists. And the XJ-001 was only ever treated as a concept, while it appears that Kaiser-Jeep was serious about building this as a production vehicle, even to the point of making up sales brochures for it. And there were a bunch of articles in 2009-2010 talking about how this was undergoing a full rotisserie restoration, so I was curious if anything ever came of it.
I am curious also.

Sad that such a rare and special vehicle can be so poorly taken care of over time. If it is what it is supposed to be, it should have been kept in a climate controlled environment, not out side on grass with a worn out green tarp. I find that to be sickening.

My green tarp on a roller comment.... Just a dry and dark sense of humor. I get that people believe that this is special. Uncover it and show us for sure though.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-23-2019, 07:26 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you realize it was designed by Jack Griffith of TVR fame... that look makes a lot of sense.

(Still remember the first time I saw a TVR in about 1969. Actually stopped to talk to the owner)

Here's a TVR from that era, the general look is similar

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/05/23...-tvr-vixen-s2/

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #12 of 12 Old 09-28-2019, 12:21 PM
bolide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
just saw this on line -- years after first comment. this is the jeep bolide xj-002. it is real, one-of-one, shown at the nyc international auto show and in restoration. I own it!!!! full provenance since the car left the factory and the first out-of-house prototype that Kaiser-leep ever made (by borg warner, cycolac division, centaur engineering (their skunk works). and the last one Kaiser-jeep made! the louvers in the nose were added later and have been repaired. go to allpar.com and search for jeep bolide xj-002 and there is more info, pics and a video.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in