What is the deal with online auto parts retailers? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
kolky

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What is the deal with online auto parts retailers?

Before I had my Jeep I never had to deal with people having items for sale but then when you order them they are suddenly out of stock. Now that I have my Jeep and order parts online it happens constantly.

Do online auto part retailers use some mysterious, piece of crap, inventory system that the rest of the world does not? Seriously, this doesn't seem that hard. And when it is in stock it takes them multiple weeks to ship it to you.

Yellow Jeep Club #1224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
njsjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Many online retailers don't actually stock product but order it from the manufacturer or a supplier after you place your order.

In some cases the manufacturer/supplier is out of stock or back ordered and this creates a delay.

In other cases the online retailer may not an authorized dealer of the products you order and can't get them from legitimate sources; so, there is a delay as they try to find the products by any means.

Seems like any online retailer that is worth ordering from should be happy to answer emails or phone calls about the availability of items you want to order and give you a fair estimate of delivery times.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 AM
JerseyDoug
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsjeep View Post
Many online retailers don't actually stock product but order it from the manufacturer or a supplier after you place your order.

In some cases the manufacturer/supplier is out of stock or back ordered and this creates a delay.

In other cases the online retailer may not an authorized dealer of the products you order and can't get them from legitimate sources; so, there is a delay as they try to find the products by any means.

Seems like any online retailer that is worth ordering from should be happy to answer emails or phone calls about the availability of items you want to order and give you a fair estimate of delivery times.
Agree. I don't order much for the Jeep (sadly), but I usually order from Quadratech when I do and have only had one problem when an item never arrived.

What you are experiencing is the nature of internet resellers. I have much more experience ordering photography equipment online. That is why I only buy from B&H Photo. Too many scammers and bait and switchers otherwise. Welcome to free market capitalism. Buyer beware.

BTW, I am pro free market capitalism.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDoug View Post

BTW, I am pro free market capitalism.
I voted for Nator, I hate everyone!

No seriously, I try and buy direct from manufactures, or LARGE retailers... JCWhitney has never given me any problems and I've been ordering from them for years.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
K9-Handler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
I voted for Nator, I hate everyone!
How can you vote for someone when you can't spell their name??

It's Ralph Nader...

- - - -
'05 WK Hemi; Dark Khaki

US Army, Viet Nam '70 - '71.
Learned to drive in a '53 Willys Wagon. 2nd vehicle: 1950 Jeepster.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
kolky

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I love to buy stuff online and I do it all the time and not just for the Jeep. It's just the things for the Jeep I run into problems with. I'm not just talking about small shops either. JCWhitney, 4WheelParts.com, I've havd issues with lots of them and the thing that aggrevates me is that most of the time the communication of the issue is horrible too (JCWhitney being an exception on the communication part).

I think there have even been three times now where I have won an ebay auction and then they tell me it is out of stock.

Yellow Jeep Club #1224
post #7 of 11 Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
jonalexdeval
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You just can't be in a hurry. My vhf swr meter was delayed for a month, and my tire rack was delayed for 2-3 months. When it finally came in, it was the wrong rack and quadratec picked it up for free and sent the right one.

Got to think long term... I have several mods planned right now and they'll all get done somehow, but as long as the part gets shipped within a few months I'm fine.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
dcorn

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't think I've ever had this sort of problem with online companies, and I've ordered a TON of stuff online for my last 4-5 cars. If you are worried about it, just call first and make sure they have the parts you want. If not order somewhere else.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #9 of 11 Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Mayfair_Jeeper

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Like njsjeep said, most retailers drop ship from the manufacture to keep inventory overhead low. This also keeps the price low. They just act as a middle man for the manufacturing companies. Go through Northridge4x4, or one of the smaller vendors here, and you will find they ar emore than happy to send updates, and be honest with thier shipping policies.

2006 Jeep TJ X Modded with toys
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport-Build in Process
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 AM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Handler View Post

It's Ralph Nader...

Why not? Do you honestly belive that was a prerequisite for our current president getting voted in?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 04:23 AM
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Handler View Post

It's Ralph Nader...
I didn't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in