Water Fording in Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Humvee4us

Water Fording in Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door

Good morning,
I'm thinking about getting a new off road 4x4 for off roading. The place where I'll be going has a lot of water crossings so I've been looking at the water fording capabilities of the 4x4s. Land Rover has a very detailed water fording section that provides the exact water fording depth of each model not only by model but down to the actual trim of the model since it can vary by a few inches even within the same model depending on the trim.
However, honestly there's something about the Jeep Wrangler, particularly the 2 door version, that has always been very appealing to me and as such would much rather buy the Jeep than the Land Rover; but Jeep says 30 inches of water fording where the Land Rover says 35.4 inches. I did notice though that Jeep seems to be taking a very generic approach to this as 30 inches of water fording is listed for all trims of the Wrangler. Additionally, the Ram Power Wagon also lists 30 inches of water fording which got me thinking if perhaps Jeep (Chrysler) is taking a corporate approach of one fits all? Because the Rubicon is clearly taller than say the Sport Wrangler yet they both say 30 inches of water fording. I'm therefore wondering if 30 inches is really the true water fording capability of a Rubicon Jeep Wrangler or if it's significant higher than this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Jks have been crossing committee crossing at Fordyce trail for a long time. But more has to do with driver too by a lot. Fact is even any of these you can hydro lock it in FAR less water. If you REALLY think you are going to anything close to 30" of water. I would invest in a snorkle system. even a small amount of water is ingested can be the end of that engine. I am fairly sure Jeep dont say 30" if i recall its like 18". No matter you drown it NO one will warranty it. Plan on getting wet at 30" moving water can push a jeep. in deep water it s better to have no doors to let the water pass through, but you will be wet. Fordyce at about 250fps 37" disappear and that water is moving fast.

more rigs get lost in water then crawling rocks. crawling you might break a drive line part, you swap it and many things are toast. The longer it sits there before recovery the worse this damage can get....no matter who makes it.

so where you going? Being new to off road driver might want to do some dry wheeling before you go Das boot.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-23-2020, 01:50 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
There are too many variables to give an exact depth specification for fording in every situation. View the rating as more of an estimate, or tested depth in a controlled setting. Fording capability takes more than just the engine intake into consideration. You also need to account for the breather tubes for axles, transfer case, transmission as well as electronics like the PCM, alternator, etc. Water can all get into these items and destroy them. Depending on which Jeep you have, the breather tubes may be very short or even non-existent. It's very common to have to extend breather tubes. Not sure the fun is worth the effort to turn your Jeep into a submarine

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A

post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2020, 02:08 PM
tanksoldier

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you’re going to ford more than halfway up your wheels you need to know how long all your breather tubes are, where they are... even fording over axle depth can mean changing all your fluids.

30” of water is getting to “float away” depth. If you think you’re going to ford near your max depth, whatever that is, you need to get out and walk the route you plan to drive. A small dip or drop off can be the difference between success and a ruined engine.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in