Warn Winch vs. Mile Marker - What's Better? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
IMYY4U

Warn Winch vs. Mile Marker - What's Better?

So I plan on putting a winch on my Jeep TJ. Many have told me that Warn Winch is the only way to go. But Mile Marker I see all the time on the show "Trucks!" and even military Humvees use them. On top of that, Mile Marker is overall cheaper than Warn.

What do you guys think. Is there one better than the other?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry. I made a duplicate post. Whoops.

So I deleted the first one since it lacked some edits.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 PM
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I've never personally owned a winch. So my input here is strictly based on research I've done, but here it is. An electric winch has the advantage of being able to work even if the engine is not running. That might be very important if you get in overly deep water and your engine dies. However, when the engine is running, a hydraulic mile marker winch cannot be beat by anything. Either type winch can work when submerged in water, but the hydraulic Mile Marker would be less affected by water with regard to maintenance and longevity.

So if I had one of those snorkel things so I knew I'd never drown the engine, then I think the Mile Marker would be a no brainer better choice since it does not draw current, is supposedly lighter in weight, costs less money, and has unlimited and infinite endurance for pulling, pulling, pulling, and pulling some more. I think that's why Mile Marker wins all the winch Olympics contests I've read about that are Land Rover sponsored affairs. That's also why the USA military loves Mile Marker hydraulic winches on Hummers. A Hummer isn't going to get drowned by high water when it's a diesel with a snorkel. So naturally the Mile Marker hydraulic winch is best for a Hummer, especially since it's a heavy rig, and it's operators might be under fire and not have time to stop and wait for an electric winch motor to cool, or alternator or battery to recover. With the Mile Marker hydraulic winch you can pull continuously and it's very powerful.

However, if I did not have a snorkel, then I'd seriously consider getting an electric winch. I think Warn makes the best electric winches.

Warn makes best electrics, but Mile Marker electrics are also good. Mile Marker makes the best hydraulic winches (run off your power steering motor).

I personally do NOT have a snorkel, but after some careful consideration, I've decided to get a Mile Marker hydraulic winch since it has the advantage in every area as long as the engine is running (not swamped by high water). I don't expect to get swamped, and if I ever do, then I'll get a snorkel.

So for me, I'll take the Mile Marker hydraulic winch. For you, that's up to you to decide what you want.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-28-2007, 11:28 PM
jays-tj
When is it enough?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I personally own a Warn, One on my Dodge and the other on my Jeep. I think this day and age both of them wold probally work fine.

5.5" RELA
NorCal Crawlers W6JLO
post #5 of 22 Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to know is that while the military does use Milemarker's U.S. made hydraulic winches, they don't use Milemarker's electric winches that are imported from China.

And just so ya know, the military (U.S. Army in this case) also still buys and uses electric winches for many of their vehicles.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You'll also see many Chicago Brand Winches on Military Vehicles, so the point is that they'll use whatever they get the best deals on at that time. If you've ever been on a military base you'd be suprised how many different brands they use.

2005 Rubicon
post #7 of 22 Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM
stathunter

CB3 ????????

Anyway. I had the same question and ended up getting a Milemarker E9000 because it was cheap. If I had to do it over again I would get a Warn. The Milemarker has not let me down but I have yet to use it under much stress.
Get the warn.

Scott

2004 Black X w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Michigan? Call Jim from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
post #8 of 22 Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Bigbadwolf54

I run the Warn M8000, and I am very happy with it. It has never failed me and I have used it countless times.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
DXJ

If it doesn't have a big red W on it, it's just a toy.

95 XJ
2dr 4lt Auto
35x12.5 MTs and some other stuff
post #10 of 22 Old 05-01-2007, 06:58 AM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

"GO WARN OR GO HOME!!!" Ha ha... ahhhh hahaha.... LMAO.....ROTFLMAO

I wouldn't trade my Mile Marker Hyd for anything. First time I used it I pulled my YJ, and an F250 with a trailer, hauling a car and scrap metal for 200ft non stop. The only time I gave it a break was when I had to spool out the cable to a new anchor point. Most, if not all electrics would not be able to do this with out a cooling period or letting batteries recharge.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
post #11 of 22 Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Dcomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathunter
CB3 ????????

Anyway. I had the same question and ended up getting a Milemarker E9000 because it was cheap. If I had to do it over again I would get a Warn. The Milemarker has not let me down but I have yet to use it under much stress.
Get the warn.
That doesn't make sense. You haven't even used the MM "under much stress" as you say and you expect it to fail, but it hasn't yet. Seems like it is working for you under the conditions you encounter without fail.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
stathunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf
That doesn't make sense. You haven't even used the MM "under much stress" as you say and you expect it to fail, but it hasn't yet. Seems like it is working for you under the conditions you encounter without fail.
Sorry I what I mean is I envision using the winch hanging on the edge of a huge cliff.........but I have only used it in my driveway to get my wifes excursion out of the ditch.

Scott

2004 Black X w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc

In Michigan? Call Jim from

"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
post #13 of 22 Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly it's all preference. Milemarker people will swear by Milemarker and Warn people will swear by Warn. As long as you get a "Series Wound" brand name winch you'll be in pretty good shape. The big advantage to Warn is that they are faster than most winches, but how many people need a competition rated winch for part time wheeling ? Stay away from the no name brand winches and "Permanent Magnet" motor winches, you'll be asking for trouble. Good luck.

2005 Rubicon
post #14 of 22 Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The benefits of having a fast winch has nothing to do with competition.

It has everything to do with 1) time and 2) not "over-driving" your winch cable.

1) Time
The faster a winch spools in the faster you're back on the trail and Jeep'n some more. Say it's a particularly fun day and you're doing a lot of winching. Each of those stops where you're respooling your cable after an operation adds up. And it can be adding up (easily) to an extra 1/2 hr - 45 min over the course of a day. Plus there's the impatience factor. I, personally, don't want to wait for a slow winch to spool in.

I've been on the trail when a Mile Marker was in use for a recovery. NEVER AGAIN. Damn that thing was so frick'n slow. In that one operation we probably burned up an extra 20 mins. Which may not seem like much but there were about 10 guys all standing around for 20 min with their thumbs in their ears waiting for this slow Mile Mark to get things done. We should have stopped the operating and brought in a faster winch.

2) Over-driving (more important)
However, the biggest benefit of a fast winch is that when there's little load on the line (just coming out of a stuck, for instance) a fast winch will keep up with the speed of the Jeep as you feed in some throttle. By doing so there's far less chance of the cable getting tangled around the wheels or axle or of it bird-nesting on the winch drum.

In my experience in the NW this happens a lot. There'll be times when a winch is needed to pull a guy out of a stuck but once removed from the immediate problem there may not be enough traction for him to get going. So the line stays hooked up. And the winch is cycling throug heavy load to no load.

Experience.
Another thing to note, perhaps is experience. I'm in a Jeep club that has been around wince 1959. With about 33 current members, many of them "old guys", there's probably close to 400+ years of combined Jeeping and offroad experience represented in our club. Our club and it's members have been around and seen a lot. Many products, gagets and gizmos have been tried so guys have figured out what works and works well. And as I look around at our runs Warn is the only winch I see. It's the ONLY trusted winch in our club with many of the guys running 15-20+ yr old Warns flawlessly.

- Jay
post #15 of 22 Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

so....the answer to his question is...yes?

"Jeeps are the equivalent of barbies for men."-JaikYJ

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in