Warn M8 vs Warn VR-EVO-8S vs Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500SR - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-07-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Warn M8 vs Warn VR-EVO-8S vs Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500SR

Help me choose! I've narrowed it down to these three. Factors that are important are to me are durability/dependability, made in US, weight, synthetic rope, and price. Not too worried about things like line speed. Waterproofing would be nice but I'm not all that worried about that either.

I would like to go with the US made M8-S, but I can't afford it, so one option is to get the M8, then switch out for synthetic rope. But I worry about the brake located in the drum and possible issues with overheating the rope. Also I'm not sure if the M8-S is built differently than the M8 to support synthetic. I've heard that it is and that it isn't but can't seem to confirm either way. Its not clear from the Warn website. The Superwinch has the brake outside the drum and would come with the synthetic rope, and I've heard good things about durability, but its made in Taiwan. Finally, the VR-EVO has the brake inside the drum, so same concern as the M8, but I could afford to get it with the synthetic line, so presumably there are no issues with the drum heating up the line too much? Also the VR is waterproofed, which I feel is more of a marketing feature than anything else, but I guess it would be nice. The VR is also the lightest, which is good, but probably the least durable and is made in China.

I keep going back and forth and can't decide - any input is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-07-2021, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did a little more digging and found a difference between the M8 and M8-S - the M8-S has a larger diameter drum, probably to give a little more space between the brake and the rope for cooling. Which makes me think I shouldn't go with synthetic line on the M8 unless I pony up for the M8-S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in