• 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
U-Joints?

What brand of U Joints have been the toughest, longest lasting for folks??

I've seen the Moog's, but have never tried them...I've used Spicer's for years, and have replaced them again and again, even under warranty. I'm kind of not interested in that brand any longer, not even their "tough" versions...

Thoughts!??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going through Spicer's triple-sealed Sealed u-joints, something is wrong with your drivetrain angles. Their current sealed u-joints are the most durable u-joints in the industry. I wouldn't even consider Moog.
222Doc, cranbiz and joeyroe like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Why are you replacing them? breaking them? worn out? if worn out, were they dry when you removed them? as jerry said, spicers are the best if you are buying the non greasable top of the line joints.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're often driving through deep water or sloppy mud, you're going to have to run greaseable joints and religiously service them each oil change and after every foray in the muck. Even the best sealed joints don't tolerate such conditions for terribly long.
Ross, joeyroe and littletoes like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 04:38 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
If you're going through Spicer's triple-sealed Sealed u-joints, something is wrong with your drivetrain angles. Their current sealed u-joints are the most durable u-joints in the industry. I wouldn't even consider Moog.

THIS!!! I believe they are called Spicer life series. You can look them up below.

https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx
post #6 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, I guess I should give some background information?

I'm no spring chicken, and although I don't have a lot of "Jeep" experience, I have ran various 4x4's for the past 30 plus years (I think it's getting closer to 40 years than 30 now).

As a kid on the farm, I grew up with my responsibility being to keep various rigs running and part of that was replacing U joints in different rigs.
Yea...I know, farmers are cheap...I get it.

After years of replacing U joints at the rear differential, and every single one of them being a Spicer, and those not lasting very long...and me being one of those guys that have always installed the ones with zerks, and also being the guy that would grease every single zerk in a rig, every oil change religiously, I think it can be safe to say, when they fail, if it seems a bit "early", it most likely is.
Now one day, years ago I run into this old race-car guy in a parts store and he asks me why I was buying a Spicer U joint. I reply they are lifetime warranted, he then says "so what, they are junk."
It got me to thinking....yes, I've warranted U joint after U joint all these years....maybe it's about time to try something else??

So here I am...
Have You changed your U-Joint today???
post #7 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'm talking factory angles on farm trucks.

Sure they are hard used, but no different than somebody crawling over rocks I would bet!

P.S.- I can't afford CTM Universal Joints!

Last edited by littletoes; 07-30-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Still don't know what failed is with your joints. broken into multiple pieces or dry caps? What did race car guy suggest you use? wonder if he was a neapco guy.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I now only run Spicer sealed 1310 u joints on my JK and I have had a Neapco double cardan fail. That was replaced with a Spicer double cardan and Spicer sealed u joints. I have one Neapco double cardan left and that has greasable Spicers. I keep those greased and so far, so good. I kept the front DS greased too, the u joints were fine, the double cardan, not so much. My DS shop had said they were having an abnormal number of Neapco's failing and they were switching to Spicer's as the price had come down.
littletoes likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 14 Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Still don't know what failed is with your joints. broken into multiple pieces or dry caps? What did race car guy suggest you use? wonder if he was a neapco guy.

They just wore out fast, needle bearings and socket ends.
That's the problem....I CAN'T REMEMBER THE BRAND....man I'm getting old.

I was hoping some folks here would enlighten me. I thought if I had heard the name-brand, it would turn a light on.

Here is an example- '87 Blazer. Not hard used, but I've replaced the U-joints several times, all Spicers.
To the point that I have/had all receipts (recently sold it to my Son).
I've replaced that rear joint a few times over the past 20 years....and other than crawling around in the hills while hunting (no lift kit, factory engine), it hasn't seen that much rough country.
But that rear joint gets replaced every few years....maybe it's a design thing??
But I did the same with a few old Fords, and some other Chevy's I've had...but those might have been used "a little rough"??
post #11 of 14 Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM
V8GCZJ

Spicer makes many different types of u joints even for the same application. Brute strength would one with out grease fittings since there is a hole threw the center of the joint(good 1/4 mile runs). Spicer also has the tipple seal ones(Spicer life i believe) they are available in greaseable and non. It depends on your application but i would not use any other u joint. When i got my daily driver 18 years ago(non jeep) it had front axle joints where history. At the time didn't think too much about at and replaced them with "precision" ones. Well they didn't last two years! Then i replaced them with the greasable spicer life ones, Well they have been on there for the last 16 years with no issues. Pic of the actual joint that was replaced with the Spicer next to it...
littletoes likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Great picture V8GCZJ!

Thank You!

Another quick question for anyone, do the Jeep drive-lines always come with "SPICER" stamped in the yokes?? I've never seen that before.

Thanks Guys for the discussion!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going through ujoints at the rear pinion of a Dana 35 ?
Lasting only a few months if that long?

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #14 of 14 Old 08-24-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Are you going through ujoints at the rear pinion of a Dana 35 ?
Lasting only a few months if that long?

No Sir, just most pick-up trucks at the rear pumpkin that I've been around.
I've changed several over the years in a 1/2 ton chevy for example.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in