Tow Rope with Hooks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Chris_Ryan

2002 TJ Wrangler 

When ever possible DO NOT pull from the front (as in don't have your jeep in reverse) you can cause damage to your trany and diff gears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcells9
When ever possible DO NOT pull from the front (as in don't have your jeep in reverse) you can cause damage to your trany and diff gears.
where did you get that little misfit of information? i have pulled many times from the front with no damage. so quote your source please.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Chris_Ryan

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1
where did you get that little misfit of information? i have pulled many times from the front with no damage. so quote your source please.
I have heard it many times on here, and also a buddy who used to work for a 4x4 shop down by the ocala state forest in Fl.

This is how my buddy explained to me (at least the diff)... It had to do with the way the differential gears are shaped, they have a curved edge and a straight edge when you are moving forward the flat edge of the gear is in contact but when you are in reverse, the curved edge of the gear is in contact. A simple pull of your differential cover will confirm the shape of the gear.

To me that makes sense, and I don't want to blow a d35 testing it out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
19OlllllllO41

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcells9
Ive also heard this many times over the years. Thats why I never pull in reverse!

The Present:

'05 TJ Rubicon (Electric Lime Green)
'04 WJ
'46 CJ2A
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
post #20 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Jeepfreak81

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is a difference in strength of the front axle... a high pinion front axle is weaker pulling in reverse as compared to a low pinion model. However I have pulled in reverse in my YJ and never had issue. I like to pull from the rear of my jeep in case the strap breaks it will hit the rear and less chance of coming through the windshield.

94 V8 YJ, SOA, H1's, 37's, HP D44, D60, 4.88's, winch and some other goodies
1946 CJ2A, 225 V6, T98 D18, Warn OD, D30/D44. Dual winches mild lift & 34's
1966 M416 1/4 ton Military Trailer Expo Trailer
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
post #21 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Car RamRod

if you see a r&p you'll understand why you dont want to pull in reverse, there is much less contact area between the teeth. Then count in any change in pinion angle and it adds a lot more stress to the housing=flex=more clearnaces=baddd. A manual transmission shouldnt really make a difference as the gears mesh, but I would still try to pull foward whenever possible.

1986 Comanche, 4x4, 2.8l v6
1989 Mustang LX Coupe, h/c/i, bolt ons, 5lug
have to break in engine and trans, then hitting E-town and a dyno
post #22 of 28 Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you must pull in reverse... have a spotter off to the side in a safe location give the puller instructions. To protect the driver of the pull vehicle from death (in the case of ropes with hooks being the only available strap) raise the hood fully as a shield. This can be done for winching as well if you are unsure of the safety of the pull.

2005 Impact Orange Rubicon
6 speed standard 4.0L I6 engine
Mechanical Engineer behind the wheel
Toronto, ON, Canada
post #23 of 28 Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Car RamRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeep
If you must pull in reverse... have a spotter off to the side in a safe location give the puller instructions. To protect the driver of the pull vehicle from death (in the case of ropes with hooks being the only available strap) raise the hood fully as a shield. This can be done for winching as well if you are unsure of the safety of the pull.
good idea.

post #24 of 28 Old 10-19-2006, 10:20 AM
gunthagunth

1997 ZJ 

i cant open my hood anymore when winching. id rather have it come thru the windshield .

97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
post #25 of 28 Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Just don't do what I did. No horror story here, but the other guys sure did scare some sense into me!

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 PM
AZG23

I keep a recovery strap for recovery...and a tow strap with hooks for the pull home if I break something...

Brad B.

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
post #27 of 28 Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 AM
jocww

if u you pull in reverse though the gears are lower or numerically higher so it should therefore be better. unless your rig is a recovery only the strength should not be a issue at all. I pull in reverse all the time partly because of the winch up front but even in our tahoe

red 86 xj 3.5 superflex with packs, deutush shocks hella 500 fog lights cb radio 31 dayton mud terrains on 15x8 ion wheels custom front bumper with winch and rear tow point
for you myspacers girlscuddlebug69

Bay Area wheelers click this link

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
post #28 of 28 Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Car RamRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww
if u you pull in reverse though the gears are lower or numerically higher so it should therefore be better. unless your rig is a recovery only the strength should not be a issue at all. I pull in reverse all the time partly because of the winch up front but even in our tahoe
we're on different pages.
I was talking about the strength that the components could handle, not what the truck would be putting out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in