Tow dolly broke jeep - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Tow dolly broke jeep

I posted this in another forum but thought I might get more eyes here...hope that’s allowed!

I just finished using a tow dolly to drag my 2014 rubicon to the beach and back. Back wheels on ground, front off. OOPS! Duh... now it won’t get into gear. I was told I need a new transmission. Is that true? Help! I’m a idiot....

jadejeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM
jtec
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,303
Well not recommended* - Its been done SO
lets just work thru this step by step.

what Gear selection is transfer case in?
Engine will start Idle smooth?

Is the CEL (Check Engine Light) on?
Selecting a gear - no movement, will reverse lights come on in R?
Trans fluid was checked? level - color, particles?
page 616 owners manual...



* Page 562 owners manual - a little late
there should be a test .

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
jtec is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
Well not recommended* - Its been done SO
lets just work thru this step by step.

what Gear selection is transfer case in?
Engine will start Idle smooth?

Is the CEL (Check Engine Light) on?
Selecting a gear - no movement, will reverse lights come on in R?
Trans fluid was checked? level - color, particles?
page 616 owners manual...



* Page 562 owners manual - a little late
there should be a test .
Hi! Thanks for replying! I’ll work through these questions and post as soon as I can!
jadejeep is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler
 
Kruzin's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 5,829
There is a specific way to do this and not following the instructions as outlined in the owner's manual WILL trash your transmission.

What were your transfer case and transmission set at while you did this towing?
The t-case should have been in neutral and the transmission should have been in park.
The transmission pump that lubricates the tranny is at the front of the tranny, and is spun by the engine/torque converter. If you left the transmission in neutral, it was being spun from behind as you towed it and the tranny pump was not moving, thus not lubricating the tranny.

This is probably the most common transmission killer by those who don't read the owner's manual and tow with the tranny in neutral.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
Kruzin is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
There is a specific way to do this and not following the instructions as outlined in the owner's manual WILL trash your transmission.

What were your transfer case and transmission set at while you did this towing?
The t-case should have been in neutral and the transmission should have been in park.
The transmission pump that lubricates the tranny is at the front of the tranny, and is spun by the engine/torque converter. If you left the transmission in neutral, it was being spun from behind as you towed it and the tranny pump was not moving, thus not lubricating the tranny.

This is probably the most common transmission killer by those who don't read the owner's manual and tow with the tranny in neutral.
Ugh yeah tranny neutral , tcase 2wd. Think the tcase is broken too?
jadejeep is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler
 
Kruzin's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 5,829
Tcase should be fine, it's pump system is much simpler and constantly lubes if the main shaft is spinning.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
Kruzin is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 04:09 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler
 
mukluk's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clyde
Posts: 5,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadejeep View Post
Ugh yeah tranny neutral , tcase 2wd.
This is contrary to the response you gave in your other thread on the same subject: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/.../#post40713659

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
mukluk is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 04:43 PM
K0LCB
Registered User
 
K0LCB's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Fresnos
Posts: 95
Garage
I have always thought Jeeps couldnít be towed on dollies. I never tried. I tow mine 4 down, my JK is 6th Jeep Iíve owned

L. C. AKA LEONARD
Itís a Jeep thing
K0LCB is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler
 
Kruzin's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 5,829
It's all depends on the t-case.
Ones with full-time AWD like Quadratrac model t-cases can't be dollied, as the front and rear are always (at least partially) engaged with each other, even when the tcase is in neutral.
Models like the JK have a t-case that fully disengages front and rear drive lines from each other, so they can handle it for short distances. The owner's manual does say not to do it at all.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
Kruzin is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadejeep View Post
Ugh yeah tranny neutral , tcase 2wd.
This is contrary to the response you gave in your other thread on the same subject: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/t.../#post40713659
Thanks corrected that!!
jadejeep is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
It's all depends on the t-case.
Ones with full-time AWD like Quadratrac model t-cases can't be dollied, as the front and rear are always (at least partially) engaged with each other, even when the tcase is in neutral.
Models like the JK have a t-case that fully disengages front and rear drive lines from each other, so they can handle it for short distances. The owner's manual does say not to do it at all.
It’s a 2014 rubicon, so it’s awd right? This really sucks
jadejeep is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler
 
Kruzin's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 5,829
No, it's 4wd. It has the ability to be in either 2wd or 4wd.
AWD is always in some form of 4wd and doesn't have a 2wd option.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
Kruzin is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
jadejeep
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ashburn
Posts: 18
Ok cool at least maybe the tcase is ok then....
jadejeep is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 AM
samthorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Never was in these situation
Interesting discussion
Thanks!

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Garage owner. Based in London.
samthorn is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 08-24-2019, 09:14 AM
V8GCZJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 302
I disconnected the drive shaft on my ZJ to get it home with a tow dolly(hung it from the exhaust). If in question it's easier to remove/install 4 bolts rather then trans/t case.
V8GCZJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome