Tons of Play In Steering Gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
dandiamold2289
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tons of Play In Steering Gear

Hi Guys,
Ok, 1998 Cherokee sport 4wd 4.0. Over the years my steering has developed about 6-inches of play. about three in each direction from relaxed center. I purchased a new/rebuilt steering gear box from autozone about a year ago. I've been replacing parts ever since trying to eliminate the play which still existed after the swap. There is nothing left to replace. There's a ton of play in the steering and adjusting the worm screw doesn't seem to do anything but making the steering tighter. it doesn't take away the slop/play. I've never run into this before and cant seem to resolve it. Is it possible that the rebuilt box had the same problem I was already having? is it possible that I purchased a bad "new" box? Please help.

Thank You,
John

Favorite place for goodies online http://www.12volt-travel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 10:34 AM
riverzj

I had this issue with the part store boxes being junk, went thru about 5 warranties before I bought a redhead. Redhead comes with new upgraded bearing where the remans just have new seals and donít fix any play.

After I had my readhead installed I still had some play and turns out it was the steering box flexing on the frame, solved that issue with a Ironman4x4fab box brace. Although if you have a stock jeep thatís probably not your issue and my unibody was probably just fatigued from all the dumb stuff I do offroad.

Could also be your actual steering shaft from the wheel to the steering box that can get worn out and cause play that you feel in the wheel.

Also check thru your steering components including your trackbar and balljoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 02:26 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiamold2289 View Post
Is it possible that the rebuilt box had the same problem I was already having? is it possible that I purchased a bad "new" box?
It's more likely that the problem was not the box in the first place. Have you laid under the Jeep while someone else steers back and forth. I usually do that with the motor off. It could even be your upper steering shaft loose on it's u-joints or clamps.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2020, 06:23 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Do the steering inspection.
While a friend moves the wheel back and forth, you get under the rig and observe every steering component from the steering column down to the tie rod ends. 6" of slop should be easy to find.

Don't forget, if you have a lift, you need to insure the box is centered.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in