TJ or XJ as DD? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ or XJ as DD?

So I currently DD a TJ and I'm constantly hating the MPG and lack of cargo space. Don't get me wrong, I love my TJ's simplicity and capability off-road and am very thankful that my dad bought it for me but I hate it being so impractical as a DD and hard on MPG for him. I'd rather him have got something more DD suitable now. So here's the situation: I'm not able to take the top off, take doors off, or lift it thus defeating the purpose of having a TJ. Hell he was even surprised I wanted to take it off-road!!! So would getting a XJ be more DD friendly? I will 99.9% wind up keeping my TJ and loving it for many more years, I just want y'alls opinions.

Possible setups:

TJ: '98 2 door, 2" BB with 31's, 3spd auto, I6, less cargo room
XJ: '97-'01, 4 door, 2" BB with 31's, 4spd auto, I6, more cargo room

I'm also open to any WJ options!

-Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
An XJ is definitely more convenient as a DD. Lots and lots more room to store/carry stuff. A good buddy of mine had one and I was always envious of his cargo space. XJs are a little more aerodynamic so it will also get a little better gas mileage. Like anything though, once you start modding it the mileage will quickly go out the window. I wouldn't buy another vehicle just for the gas mileage though. The money you spent to buy that XJ could have gotten you a lot more gas for the TJ than you would have saved from a 1 or 2 mpg improvement with the XJ.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #3 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If getting better mpg is your top priority either a TJ or XJ would be a good choice.

I had a stock 01 Grand Cherokee with the I6 and did not do that much better on gas then my TJ with 33s.

If more space is what makes the top of the list then the XJ may be a good choice.

If you can swing it keep the TJ and get a beater that gets good mpg. Depending how much you drive it could pay off.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto

post #4 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

We use our WJ much more as a DD than my TJ. WJ has more room and rides nicer.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
dcorn

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you can afford a ZJ or WJ, they have even more comfort and cargo space than an XJ. I think an XJ with a mild lift and tire combo is a great DD, especially for inclement weather. Much better (and cheaper) than a TJ.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #6 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Chances are I'll never get rid of my TJ. I just really love it but even then I still find myself wondering if I made the right choice in getting one. I was originally going to get a WJ but then drove around in my brothers TJ for a couple months and wanted one. Anyway what do ya'll think of no top off, no doors off, and no lift? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a TJ?

-Jack
post #7 of 15 Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM
dcorn

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Why can't you take all that stuff off? Parents? Tell them to get a life. If you had a convertible, would they not let you put the top down? I can sort of understand leaving the doors on, just get some half doors instead. But the top off doesn't make it any more unsafe on the road. Get a nice Rock Hard bolt on cage addition if they are that worried about it.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
mapitre42
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're concerned about gas mileage being affected with the top and doors off your TJ, the answer is that it will be affected, in the negative sense. Running with the top on I average about 14/15 mpg's. With it off I expect more around 9/10 mpg's. The top being taken off affects the aerodynamics somewhat and creates a lot more drag.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
mapitre42
2006 TJ Wrangler 

However, I agree with the above post. If you have a TJ and can't take the top off, then why have it? It's well worth the loss in gas mileage.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, anything that says "Jeep" on the hood is going to get about the same mileage, so if that's your primary motivation for the change, you will be disappointed. The TJ is a cool rig, especially for a high school student, but if you aren't enjoying it, then maybe it's time for a change.

I like the "wagons". Compared to a Wrangler, they ride a lot nicer, have the added security of a metal top and glass windows, are generally pretty much water tight, and yeah, hold a lot more gear/people. You can also get into a NICE ZJ for $3k these days that makes a great DD. I got my wife's old ZJ 3 years ago for $2500, put about $500 in parts into it (mostly neglected maintenance), and it has been rock solid ever since. She wound up with a really long commute and wanted a more economical car, so we gave it to my in-laws who fell on some hard times. It's still going great at 220k.

If you're thinking WJ, man I could talk your ear off about WJs.

One final point. You're 16. I've had cars that I said "I'll never get rid of" but if anything is guaranteed in life, it's that there are NO guarantees. Your needs when you are 30 are going to be TOTALLY different than they are now, in ways you can't even imagine yet. I know mine certainly are!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Richard
post #11 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BamaJeepman21

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well, anything that says "Jeep" on the hood is going to get about the same mileage, so if that's your primary motivation for the change, you will be disappointed. The TJ is a cool rig, especially for a high school student, but if you aren't enjoying it, then maybe it's time for a change.

One final point. You're 16. I've had cars that I said "I'll never get rid of" but if anything is guaranteed in life, it's that there are NO guarantees. Your needs when you are 30 are going to be TOTALLY different than they are now, in ways you can't even imagine yet. I know mine certainly are!
I really really enjoy my Jeep. Most of the time (99%) I love it but sometimes I kinda doubt myself but as of lately I haven't. I get to put the soft top on soon and then comes the 2" RC spacer kit and 31's for a temporary lift.

I only said "I would keep it forever" because I'm very likely going to keep this Jeep well into my 20's.

-Jack
post #12 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
spdcat01TJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

First of all, I don't understand why you can't take off the top and doors. Second, why don't you get a job and pay for your own gas? Third, if you're looking for better gas mileage from an XJ, you'll be unpleasantly surprised. My TJ and XJ get basically the same mileage. A lot of the mileage depends on how they are driven.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
post #13 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
spdcat01TJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapitre42 View Post
If you're concerned about gas mileage being affected with the top and doors off your TJ, the answer is that it will be affected, in the negative sense. Running with the top on I average about 14/15 mpg's. With it off I expect more around 9/10 mpg's. The top being taken off affects the aerodynamics somewhat and creates a lot more drag.
I have found the opposite to be true. My TJ gets better mileage without the top and doors. In high speed highway driving, drag might hurt mileage, but around town, the reduced weight, and not running the A/C, helps mileage.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
post #14 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 PM
mapitre42
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdcat01TJ View Post
I have found the opposite to be true. My TJ gets better mileage without the top and doors. In high speed highway driving, drag might hurt mileage, but around town, the reduced weight, and not running the A/C, helps mileage.
That's true. I do a lot of highway driving, so my statistics are skewed.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love taking my top and doors off and hitting the trails. I am kinda in the same boat as you. I have been thinking about selling my mildy built TJ and buying a stock 98-99 XJ. I do have a son though so thats the only reason I might sell my TJ. Hell with my backseat out I can fit camping gear for a whole weekend. Since you dont offroad sell the tj and buy the xj. throw a 2in lift and 31s on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in