Theft Prevention? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-18-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Theft Prevention?

While working on my jeep a few days ago, I noticed something...this thing would be easy to steal.

I can't store mine in a garage, I don't have space.

What are some things folks do to help keep it in "my" driveway, instead of somebody else's??

Thanks for any ideas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The 'best' thing I do for a YJ is move the ignition. I keep the cylinder in the column for the 'lock wheel' function, but I reroute the ignition function to another cylinder that locates somewhere else. This makes the factory unit a 'dummy'. I've done 3 of these. One was placed inside of a Tuffy stereo security console. One was done installed to the front of a Tuffy. The last one is installed in the tranny hump, on the floor with a Sea Doo unit. You can see the front Tuffy one in the pic below.

Two other 'defeats' are an inline (power wire) fuel pump function switch, and a battery feed disconnect.

This is easy to do when the harness is gutted, but it will take some disassembly, a wiring diagram, and thought to get it done with the factory routing. You may need some 'doubles' depending on what functions you want controlled by the factory key. It's unusual enough that I've never had anyone able to start the vehicle without eventually showing them where the 'real' key goes. Sold this one some years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0540.jpg  
littletoes likes this.

Last edited by gutthans; 08-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-18-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
That's a phenomenal idea!

I had never even thought of that!
Thanks!!

post #4 of 16 Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

A lot of folks use a simple interrupter switch under the dash that will keep power from going to the starter solenoid or fuel pump. You simply shut down the engine and flip the switch to off. Flip the switch to on before cranking.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #5 of 16 Old 08-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is an interesting and timely topic. Many people who are new to Jeep life are wondering about this, or are concerned when their Jeep is stolen.

There are many options.
1. MOPAR factory alarm. This is expensive at around $200 plus installation, but it is reliable and works well. It has the little dash board flashing red LED to deter casual thieves and a loud siren. It does interrupt the starting circuit electrically, but does not cut off fuel and can be defeated by someone who is fast and can get the hood open and disconnect the battery or cut the siren wires. That leaves enough time to disconnect the alarm wiring. Only experienced car thieves will attempt this approach.
(I had one in my 2004 LJR soft top and never had anything stolen.)

2. Aftermarket alarm systems. There are a lot of these. Most cities have at least one "Car Stereo and Alarm" shop. My approach would be to check Yelp and also, you get what you pay for. A cheap alarm probably won't be as effective as a good alarm. I see that Best Buy also sells and installs aftermarket alarms. A lot of these market remote start, as well. Just remember, remote start is for automatic transmissions only.

3. The "Club" or similar steering wheel lock. These will stop a casual thief, but a pro can defeat them in less than 20 seconds.

4. The hidden fuel pump switch. This has been a favorite for many years. I had one on my '78 CJ-7 and it worked great. Thing is you have to remember to turn it off when you park and turn it on when you want to go! These are usually home installed with parts from Radio Shack (yes, they are still around). If you go this way, be sure to get some shrink wrap when you buy the wire and switch. Also, put the switch someplace where it cannot be seen by casual visitors.

5. Spare tire/wheel locks. That spare hanging off the back of your Jeep is so tempting! I had one stolen and it costs about $500 to get the wheel and tire replaced. This time around, three locking lug nuts! https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...07248407&psc=1

Do this now before somebody takes your spare!

Anybody else?

(My current Jeep, the 2006 LJR, has an aftermarket alarm.)
littletoes likes this.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #6 of 16 Old 08-24-2019, 03:29 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
locking lug nuts can be removed faster then a steering wheel club.
really on a older vehicle a interrupted switch of any one of things it needs to run. just a matter of how well its hidden and does in make so the the "ol" hot wire wont work as well as a bypass. even simple switching on newer can be some what easy and one can have more then one. if its an auto most have a switch to neutral by design. there is just one of the many ones can set up. Might feel like Get Smart opening doors, starting it you get carried away.

the only vehicle we have that is a programmed one(part of the tuner) for anti theft is a 2003 that one of the settings is NS(no start) then 1-7 for its on the fly tunes. Not that it was designed for it perhaps, to remove. but since the box that does the switching is so small and its only connect is to a very thin tape wire that comes out of the PCM to this tinny box. just set it to NS and remove the little control box. its only velcrowed to the dash tape wire comes out from behind. now the pcm is set to No start and the only way back is the box you took to change the program. plug it in change the tune to say 3 ;its none towing moderate tune. some leaving that box might be enough if they did not know how it works what numbers are what program etc., they might think it dont run. hey its a ford....

on a 70s era i have the ign power on a separate and the start . since any of those can be by pass in the end. i tended take the rotor out of the cap. since it is not stock. few would have that in there pocked. caps easy to remove and replace. rotor pulls off simple. wont run with out it. they just tow them off if they really want it.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 PM
TJR238

2003 TJ Wrangler 

post #8 of 16 Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 PM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"locking lug nuts can be removed faster then a steering wheel club."

Hey 222Doc, thanks for your response. I checked around and learned that some of the cheaper (ah, less expensive) locking bolts can be easily removed. Heck, Amazon even sells the tool used to remove them. However, they don't work on Gorilla bolts, due to the shape of the bolts. There is an on-line review where a guy claims it took him three hours to get one locking bolt off.
Of course, if they want it bad enough they will get it; even if they have to torch it off. One of the LEOs here told me they just want the tire, they don't care about the wheel, 'cause they can sell the tire for dope money.

Good point about not keeping the bolt removal key in the glove box or center console. Could be a velcro solution.

TJR238, thanks for the steer to the circuit interrupter. I think with that and a simple blinking red LED on the dash, no alarm is needed. That's a better deal than $400+.

Jerry, what did you do to your "new" Jeep after your prior Jeep was stolen?

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #9 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 AM
V8GCZJ

You might want to opt for an alarm system with a proximity(radar) sensor. I had one on my truck. Depending on what you get and how it's set up it will chirp if anyone comes near the vehicle. This is especially good for open vehicles(convertibles etc..) Some have duel zones where it will chirp as a warning and go off if the second zone(interior) gets breached.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Queticon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

toggling seven switches as follows: 1st switch - 2nd & 3rd simultaneously - 1st switch, red switch, black switch and ignition switch.

No matter where you go...
There your Jeep is.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-13-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
What about the bumpers???

I just installed a new bumper and had to replace the factory T55 fasteners with 6 point bolts due to clearance issues. I've thought of putting 12 point or triple-square fasteners in there, just to make it harder for somebody to steal...

Thoughts on this??
Are bumpers even getting stolen, or am I just being paranoid??

And by bumper, include the winch!! I don't have one yet...but in time, and I don't want to weld it down, but I don't want it taken off while I'm in the woods hunting!!

Slap me with some more ideas guys!
The above ones were great!
post #12 of 16 Old 10-13-2019, 09:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most tire thefts are spur of the moment, locking lugs do deter thieves. If you are extra worried, I saw a lug nut kit that was all locking lugs, you would have to MacGyver all of the lug nuts to take home the prize.

Hidden or disguised interrupt switches are a good standby if well hidden or located inside a locked box, and for longer term storage, disable the ignition by keeping the coil wire and the rotor in the house.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

When my TJ was stolen ten years ago the thief never even tried to start it. A witness saw it all happen, it was dragged backwards out of my company parking space by a flatbed tow truck and hauled off in less than 2 minutes. There's not much that can prevent a determined or well-equipped thief who knows his trade.
underscore and littletoes like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-13-2019, 02:37 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Cranking the wheel as much as possible when you have a functional steering lock is probably the only hope you have of making it more difficult to steal with a flat deck. That and parking it in spots that would be hard to access with a trailer. If you put a fuel pump killswitch make sure it's located somewhere that it can't be bumped while driving. I prefer starter kill switches so there's no risk of the engine shutting off at a dangerous time. You can also take the coil wire with you (I did that when dirtbiking) or swap around the order of the plug wires on the distributor if you're leaving it for longer.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #15 of 16 Old 10-13-2019, 03:17 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
though this was not do to theft. Had an issue with dogs pissing on the wheels. So i hooked up a cattle guard shock system to the parked car. just like the one on our fencing at the time. Yea they only tried that one more time and they never did it again.

ever touch one of these fences? they will light you up.
littletoes likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in