Sound proof and insulate hard top - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
larubie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sound proof and insulate hard top

If you ever had to deal with a hard top sweat or hate putting up with the hum-drum, this is a easy fix.

I cleaned the underneath with a pre-paint grease remover, than added "second skin" to the entire top. This is the same as "Duramat" but cheaper. It can be formed to all curves of the top and has a thick aluminum backing that reflects heat and the tar type material underneath absorbs sound like nothing else.

I sprayed the factory inside of the top a splatter gray where the carpet will not cover.

Once the second skin is in, I used a polypropylene floor covering that has a very sticky backing. This type of flooring does not absorb odors and is cheap, but looks good.

The finished top looks awesome, is much more quite, and the inside of the Jeep is way more comfortable than before. Not to mention no more sweating. This is what it looks like once completed.

Attached Thumbnails
Photo Gp 1 017.jpg   Photo Gp 1 018.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That looks pretty fricken sweet, man. I have two big rolls of e-dead left over from soundproofing the tub. I ought to do the hardtop too although I'm leery of making it heavier.

Where'd you source the carpet?
post #3 of 15 Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
larubie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you do the top portion of top only it will add about 5 lbs or so. The little weight is not rally noticeable but the difference in thermal and sound control is worth the weight. Not to mention it looks so much better than the egg shell interior color.

I found the carpet at Home Depot. It comes in a box of squares. If the glue on the carpet is not that good use "Gorilla Glue" but make sure that you spread it our as it expands and will seep through the carpet and look like crap.

I did the entire tub of the Jeep from the firewall to the tail and that made a massive difference. I also added a heat shield batting under the carpet to reduce the heat transfer during long trail rides. I know you purest out there are thinking WHY? Well, it make the Jeep quieter (hard to do I know) and allow the A/C to work better. Overall I think that it makes the Jeep that much better.

Wherever I may roam...

post #4 of 15 Old 07-24-2010, 11:27 AM
GilNewJeeper

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larubie View Post
If you do the top portion of top only it will add about 5 lbs or so. The little weight is not rally noticeable but the difference in thermal and sound control is worth the weight. Not to mention it looks so much better than the egg shell interior color.

I found the carpet at Home Depot. It comes in a box of squares. If the glue on the carpet is not that good use "Gorilla Glue" but make sure that you spread it our as it expands and will seep through the carpet and look like crap.

I did the entire tub of the Jeep from the firewall to the tail and that made a massive difference. I also added a heat shield batting under the carpet to reduce the heat transfer during long trail rides. I know you purest out there are thinking WHY? Well, it make the Jeep quieter (hard to do I know) and allow the A/C to work better. Overall I think that it makes the Jeep that much better.
Very nice, excellent...................

I was thinking inn something like LizardSkin (Summitracing product #LIZ-50100)
LizardSkin 50100 - LizardSkin Original Ceramic Insulation - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And an Auto Custom Fit Vinyl Floor Cover Set from Quadratec #14049.0X
Auto Custom Carpets 3863-16 - Auto Custom Carpets Custom Fit Vinyl Floor Cover Set for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

How much did you expend doing the TUB?

Did you Hug your Jeep today?
2008 Jeep Liberty
1994 Wrangler Sahara
post #5 of 15 Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the entire tub from tailgate to firewall with a product called "e-dead". It's kinda like a Dynamat clone. I think I spent $150 and I have two and a half rolls left over. Could have done it for $100.

You can buy similar stuff much cheaper from lowes, but I did not want a tar smell in the truck. A month and a half later, a few 100 degree california days, and no odor whatsoever and the stuff is still stuck on.

You would not believe the difference in quiet. There's really no reason for the jeep to be loud. Now road noise is gone, you can actually have a conversation at freeway speeds or talk on the phone. You hear the engine better, which I like, cause I monitor by ear. Overall it's a freaking great and cheap mod.

I think you could achieve the same results with Herculiner or what have you, except this way is far less messy and you can work in little sections until complete.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-24-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
larubie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is a lot of choices out there but you do get what you pay for. I love the results too and this is a easy project no matter what you drive. Jeeps are just loud so anything you can do to make the experience better is worth it.

Wherever I may roam...
post #7 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 AM
GilNewJeeper

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taormina92 View Post
I did the entire tub from tailgate to firewall with a product called "e-dead". It's kinda like a Dynamat clone. I think I spent $150 and I have two and a half rolls left over. Could have done it for $100.

You can buy similar stuff much cheaper from lowes, but I did not want a tar smell in the truck. A month and a half later, a few 100 degree california days, and no odor whatsoever and the stuff is still stuck on.

You would not believe the difference in quiet. There's really no reason for the jeep to be loud. Now road noise is gone, you can actually have a conversation at freeway speeds or talk on the phone. You hear the engine better, which I like, cause I monitor by ear. Overall it's a freaking great and cheap mod.

I think you could achieve the same results with Herculiner or what have you, except this way is far less messy and you can work in little sections until complete.
What is wrong with the one at Lowes? I want to insulate the whole tub including the "firewall" but want to waterproof it with HERCULINER first. Also was considering to add a HyLine OffRoad Louvered Hood Panel for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ
HyLine OffRoad Louvered Hood Panel for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Acme Jeep Parts
to minimize heat from the engine. I like the idea to make the JEEP quiet. Where did you get the e-dead product?

Did you Hug your Jeep today?
2008 Jeep Liberty
1994 Wrangler Sahara
post #8 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
What is wrong with the one at Lowes? I want to insulate the whole tub including the "firewall" but want to waterproof it with HERCULINER first. Also was considering to add a HyLine OffRoad Louvered Hood Panel for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ
HyLine OffRoad Louvered Hood Panel for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Acme Jeep Parts
to minimize heat from the engine. I like the idea to make the JEEP quiet. Where did you get the e-dead product?

My .02 - I think Herculiner PLUS sound deadener is overkill. The sound deadening material is adhesive backed and I'm not sure how well it would stick to a rippled surface like Herculiner. Surface should be smooth and clean for best adhesion.

My philosophy in the sound deadener project is the root philosophy on my build; yours may be different.

My deal is that my YJ build is not a daily driver, not simply transportation. I paid cash for the jeep, and I've put lots and lots of money into it. Everything I've purchased for it has been top notch stuff, because I want to play real hard with it and not have it break.

Having said that, for $150 I got enough E-Dead to do almost TWO jeeps with. The potential savings for the Lowe's stuff was just not significant enough for me to want to use a roofing product instead.

Will they achieve similar results? Probably. I just wasn't prepared to have an incident where I spent two days (that's how long it took to deaden the tub) applying product only to have it smell like tar at a later date. My Wife's real sensitive to smells and I am trying to get her into this four wheeling thing and not ruin it for her.

So for ME, even though the sound deadening properties are very similar, I did not want to risk odor.

And I really could have done the whole tub for under $100 with PROPER sound deadening material, so where is the savings exactly?

Just my opinion.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM
venutoa
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did it to my hard top...thanks for the great tip!

WARNING: DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE....it will eat through the firberglass and loose strength. Buy the spray can of super strength 3m carpet glue. is is like $12-$15...just enough for any jeep hardtop. The guys at home depot and lowes told me this...and it is first hand experience on other projects.

I bought the 3m glue and the carpet from Lowes. they cut it for me in 2 strips...very nice thin grey carpet. cost me $28 for carpet and around $13 for the glue.

TIPS
- use a metal putty knife when putting it down to make sure it is pressed into all areas...especially the corners and seams
(make sure you press down hard..once the glue sets and is tacky)
- read the 3m glue instructions
- make sure you spray plenty on the edges and corners of the carpet to make sure it does not come loose in those areas

it looks awesome and holds this thin carpet very tight to the roof.

Thanks for the idea!!!
cheers
post #10 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
majmjjen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

how many layers of e-dead did you use on the floor?
post #11 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
larubie

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gorilla Glue is a very strong glue, but because the product expands like hell, I have not found many applications that it will work for. It seems that you will always have a mess to clean up after it dries and never use it on carpet or anything soft. Glad you guys like the outcome!

Wherever I may roam...
post #12 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Tomsjeep2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taormina92 View Post

Where did you get the e-dead stuff i cant find it anywhere. Also does this stuff absorb water?? i only have mud and water here in florida and i dont want something that absorbs water in the tub
post #13 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM
venutoa
1997 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE: the 3m carpet glue does not seem to hold in the heat out here...in vegas....unless you use a lot of it.
one side stayed on and the other did not...where I started running out of glue...so thats probably why.

found this stuff... Permatex Body Shop Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive. supposed to stand up to heat and
it specifically made for headliners. will let you know the outcome.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The inside of the hard top roof is about 48" by 60". I found two pre-edged household carpet 'runners' 2'x5', maybe $10 each. I contact cemented them to the roof 8 years ago. They are still on just fine, even after sitting outside in the NM heat for two summers now. They definitely take the edge off the sound.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
maddieTJ

Really nice write up. I live in United arab emirates, 50ْْْ c summers are common. And my TJ with the flowmaster n KN intake is kinda 'loud'. Definitely doing it to my 'black magic'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in