so the wife says, buy a rechargable flashlight - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-15-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
plm1983
1983 CJ7 

so the wife says, buy a rechargable flashlight

So the wife says, buy a rechargeable flashlight to leave in the Jeep. I agree we should have one that will be available when needed. My question to you guys and gals, is based on your own experience, what brand and model would you suggest buying.

Patrick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

This:
https://www.12voltsplus.com/07816-br...-charger-black
Horribly expensive but bone reliable and lasts forever. They also offer a gen II model.

We used these in Iraq and I wound up purchasing two when I got home. Had them for 5 years now. Use them everyday.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #3 of 24 Old 11-15-2019, 07:58 PM
tom3

Depends on the use. For just a utility light go to Harbor Freight, get a free one, pack a couple extra batteries. Good little lights and won't hurt if it gets busted/stolen.

post #4 of 24 Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 PM
dln1962
2000 TJ Wrangler 

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6...3876955&sr=8-4

Not a rechargeable but I love these, I have a dozen+ of them. Keep them everywhere -- tool boxes, drawers, vehicles, etc so I'll always have one at hand. They run forever on a pair of AAA's and put out a lot of light. I've even (accidentally) run over them on concrete a couple of times and they still work. Small enough to hold in your mouth when you need both hands for something. The link is Amazon but if you watch Midway they sometimes have them on sale.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-16-2019, 09:28 AM
V8GCZJ

I have one of these and it's awesome! You can get them for $24 with coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lu...ght-63958.html
post #6 of 24 Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ran across the flash lightning link below the other day. all the Decades of hunting and off-roading and camping around here and there the one thing I have learned that makes flashlight good is you know where it is and it works.

Things will bounce around in your Jeep so if you can't fit it in the glove box or mount it in a place where it cannot be moved from you will lose it and it will be worthless. If it is not charged when you need it it is worthless. For me the flashlight on my cell phone works just fine. For whatever reason I can always keep my cell phone charged and I always know where it is. I can't say that about any flashlights I've ever had in my entire 53 years of existence.

I did run across this high-speed little flashlight in the link below, it plugs into your cigarette lighter and apparently you can just keep it there. I have no idea if it's any good, I just like the idea of it it being where you can find it and it being charged when you need it.

https://www.appoutdoors.com/nebo_tra..._c_p103984.htm

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #7 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 AM
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a couple nitecore lights I've been pleased with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a Streamlight mounted where the rear cupholders are in my JK with it's charger.

They aren't cheap. Mine is what I used as a FF years ago and it's still going strong (once I replaced the battery pack, 20 years is a lot to ask of a nicad pack).

I like this one as it has a magnet and the swivel head. With a DC fast charger, it's upwards of $160 but Streamlights are no jokes.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/stre...lashlight.html

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 PM
dln1962
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I have a Streamlight mounted where the rear cupholders are in my JK with it's charger.

They aren't cheap. Mine is what I used as a FF years ago and it's still going strong (once I replaced the battery pack, 20 years is a lot to ask of a nicad pack).

I like this one as it has a magnet and the swivel head. With a DC fast charger, it's upwards of $160 but Streamlights are no jokes.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/stre...lashlight.html
That's a nice light! My Dep't. sure never bought me anything that nice.

The best ones we had were I think Shark(?) brand, they didn't even have a switch, you tightened the head to turn them on. Expensive bulb assembly when that went bad. But they were waterproof and you could run over them with a loaded tanker and they'd still work. I took mine with me when I retired but left the pickup unlocked one day and somebody made off with it.
cranbiz likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dln1962 View Post
That's a nice light! My Dep't. sure never bought me anything that nice.

The best ones we had were I think Shark(?) brand, they didn't even have a switch, you tightened the head to turn them on. Expensive bulb assembly when that went bad. But they were waterproof and you could run over them with a loaded tanker and they'd still work. I took mine with me when I retired but left the pickup unlocked one day and somebody made off with it.
Unfortunately, my department didn't buy mine either. We were a small volunteer department and while the town was good to us, we bought a lot of our own personal equipment.

I hate thieves, that really sucks.
dln1962 likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #11 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 09:46 AM
dln1962
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Unfortunately, my department didn't buy mine either. We were a small volunteer department and while the town was good to us, we bought a lot of our own personal equipment.

I hate thieves, that really sucks.
Same here, "church mouse VFD." We sold a lot of fried fish etc and did all of our own maintenance/repairs, even built on a 40X60 post & truss addition when we needed it ourselves. Make the $$$ go as far as we could.

The last ones we got before I hung it up (34 years was enough) were from Rocky Supply -- 2 AAA cells, flashlight/work light/flashing red warning with a magnetic base, in an aluminum-looking housing. I thought they'd be a joke but they actually held up pretty well, all things considered. We had the Streamlight rechargeable box lights mounted on all the apparatus and used the crap out of those buggers, very handy/reliable light for its day though fairly bulky by 2019 standards, AFIAK they're still using them.
post #12 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3 View Post
Depends on the use. For just a utility light go to Harbor Freight, get a free one, pack a couple extra batteries. Good little lights and won't hurt if it gets busted/stolen.
I totally agree! I must have a half dozen of these free little oblong blue lights scattered about. They have a magnet as well as a fold away J hook as well, so they can be used almost anywhere. I have only had issues with one, and that's only because the batteries had finally died. Sure I have a few nice expensive flashlights, but for the occasional use and the size you can't go wrong.

Robert.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Kman09JGC

2016 WK 

Garage
Any rechargeable light from klarus, nitecore, olight , thrunite will do. Go to batteryjunction.com and select the rechargeable filter. I probably have more flashlights than I should lol. If you want one that’s going to last and have good run times 60-100 bucks it will cost you. You can spend more easy but for that range you can get a good light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 laredo 28x 4.7 w/QD2 Superchip w/91 perf tune w/ trans app, jet 180 tstat,K&N CAI, bistein 5100 struts and shocks, srt8 front and rear swaybars, 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's.
Black WK Club #107
post #14 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 08:43 PM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

I have one of the Harbor Freight USB rechargeable lights, it's one of their "good" products ;-) About $25. High, low and flash.

"You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
post #15 of 24 Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 PM
toolman1482

You can not go wrong with Streamlight , Stinger Strion used by Police,( bought my first in 1983 and I still have it, they will even still repair it for free. Just not as bright as the new ones.)supply Firefighters too, when lives may depend on the the light working is big deal. Been making lights for those markets for 45 years. You get what you pay for, and they make a huge mix of hand held lights. Based in PA. streamlight.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in