Are Smittybilt winches any good? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 177 Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 AM
roccomonte
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have harbor frieght winch... I've pulled out myself countless times, and i've pulled down gates/trees to clear a trail. Also pulled out a big dodge mega cab... As long as you treat your equipment how its supposed to, you'll be fine. When it says winch for 1 minute then rest for 30 second intervals, DO IT. I've even had so much weight that the clutch starts to click on the winch... No motor problems. Also, had it submerged in water and mud a few times, still works perfect... I think those of you saying only get warn, warns the best and all that are just like the people that thing different gas's are bad for your engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 177 Old 05-09-2009, 03:56 AM
saharadude
2009 JK Wrangler 

Awesome Wicnh!

I bought an XRC8 and i absolutely love it. i have doen a lot fo winching with it and it is worth its weight in gold. all of the members in the Jeep club i am in are very impressed with it also.
post #168 of 177 Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
-Deepskyy-

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got through about 4 pages of this, and decided to skip to the end and throw in my opinion.
Modern winches, so far as I can see in my research, are starting to look alot alike, using the same type of components, same basic setups, same type of drive systems... et. al. Interestingly similar to modern firearms such as the 1911 clones and M4 style battle rifles (AR-15s). Some are made here in the USA, in a factory with a union worker installing the parts, but the internals may very well be from somewhere else, but are produced using the same processes and materials (in most cases). Others are put together overseas, by a non union worker in a plant in shanghi, bejing, new dehli, singapore... whatever. Those don't carry the branding, nor the price of higher labor cost, but some people (brand name snobs is the term used by the gun nuts) will go to hell with a broken back before buying anything but a colt. Fine, more power to ya' and less thickness to your wallet! Seems to be about the same with the big name American winches. Fine, all well and good, but if it goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger, and the winch spools in and out every time I hit the button, so long as I take care of it, I'll save the 800 or so bucks and buy the Smittybuilt (and I did).

Moral to the story... buy what you want, just don't hate on me for my budget purchase. I've not heard anyone complain about the Smitty's on the trail, and my group has 3 of them, 4 now that I have added mine. My friend used his XRC8 to yank free his Unlimited with no issues, so I think my YJ will be just fine with the cheap little winch that could.

Are you finding the Jeep Forum helpful?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
"I never saw such fighting since God made me. The Americans fought like demons"
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543

post #169 of 177 Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
JChors
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yes I agree that taxes are too high in America but your view that it's not our high wages that are primarily responsible for the high cost of products is pretty unique. If it wasn't for the world's significantly lower labor rates, we wouldn't be importing so many goods made in China, Taiwan, India, etc. where the cost of labor is miniscule
Unfortunately, It was most of our greedy American and European employers that tapped into the cheaper (low wages/no benefits) labor force of these countries back in the '90s to make a fast buck, screwing the Western working man in the process. In the short-term, they made a fortune. Now we're all paying for it with fewer jobs, lower pay, higher insurance costs and disappearing retirement benefits. Is it any wonder why we gravitate towards cheaper products? Consumers will buy what they can afford. Right now, Smittybilt suits my needs at an affordable price.
post #170 of 177 Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
JuniataCounty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Eh, if we did not pay a massive %(35, 40 or more) of our paychecks to Social security, Medicare, Medicare, and income tax, I could get paid a lot less and make a lot more.

Thanks for all the information on the winches.

I'd like to hear more about the Harbor Freight ones now. We've only lightly touched on it. Does anyone that HAS a harbor freight winch have any trouble with it? What did you pay? Why HF not Smittybuilt?
post #171 of 177 Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccomonte View Post
i've pulled down gates to clear a trail.
That doesn't sound suspicious.

Anyway a friend of mine has a smittybilt and another friend has a warn. Neither has failed yet and both do their job. The warn has a faster line speed though. BTW this is an M8000 vs XRC8.

I was going to buy a smittybilt but then i read a thread somewhere of a guy whose dad gave him his warn that he bought new in the 70s or 80s, and this guy put it on his new jeep and is still using it. I was already leaning towards Warn but that story helped me make my decision. I bought my M8000 for $539 last week and it's getting hooked up in the next couple days. I don't plan on much extreme or frequent usage so hopefully this winch will stick with me for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniataCounty View Post
I'd like to hear more about the Harbor Freight ones now. We've only lightly touched on it. Does anyone that HAS a harbor freight winch have any trouble with it? What did you pay? Why HF not Smittybuilt?
If you are definitely between HF and smitty, I'd say smitty. I wouldn't even consider something as vital as a winch coming from a crappy place such as harbor freight.

And this article came out before the XRC winches were out but it has some info on a HF winch. BTW it was already posted earlier in the thread.
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
post #172 of 177 Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
gpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
I read a thread somewhere of a guy whose dad gave him his warn that he bought new in the 70s or 80s, and this guy put it on his new jeep and is still using it.
[I'm not trying to pick on Toms87, it's just that his post got me to thinking.]

How do we know if today's units are built with the same quality of components and materials as 30 years ago? How do we know that a company uses the same materials standards on all units rather than having some "bargain" models and some "premium" models?

Again, not trying to be an a$$ here, and this isn't specific to Warn. You see companies of all kinds trying to leverage history in their marketing.

I guess my point is decide on stuff based on current quality and reliability measures. How something built decades ago worked out tells you something about the units built back then; if you don't also know they do things exactly the same way now as they did then, it doesn't really mean anything.
post #173 of 177 Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
01BigSmitty
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
That doesn't sound suspicious.

Anyway a friend of mine has a smittybilt and another friend has a warn. Neither has failed yet and both do their job. The warn has a faster line speed though. BTW this is an M8000 vs XRC8.

I was going to buy a smittybilt but then i read a thread somewhere of a guy whose dad gave him his warn that he bought new in the 70s or 80s, and this guy put it on his new jeep and is still using it. I was already leaning towards Warn but that story helped me make my decision. I bought my M8000 for $539 last week and it's getting hooked up in the next couple days. I don't plan on much extreme or frequent usage so hopefully this winch will stick with me for a while.

If you are definitely between HF and smitty, I'd say smitty. I wouldn't even consider something as vital as a winch coming from a crappy place such as harbor freight.

And this article came out before the XRC winches were out but it has some info on a HF winch. BTW it was already posted earlier in the thread.
Jeep Articles / General (Winches In Hell) - MoabJeeper Magazine

For all you guys doggin harbor frieght it is not a harbor frieght winch it is a central machinery winch and yea warn has been around a while but guess what central machinery has been aroun for 20- 25 yrs so i bet they arent going any where im not tring to start an argument but get it straght be for you dog it.
post #174 of 177 Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
sardog12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
I got through about 4 pages of this, and decided to skip to the end and throw in my opinion.
Modern winches, so far as I can see in my research, are starting to look alot alike, using the same type of components, same basic setups, same type of drive systems... et. al. Interestingly similar to modern firearms such as the 1911 clones and M4 style battle rifles (AR-15s). Some are made here in the USA, in a factory with a union worker installing the parts, but the internals may very well be from somewhere else, but are produced using the same processes and materials (in most cases). Others are put together overseas, by a non union worker in a plant in shanghi, bejing, new dehli, singapore... whatever. Those don't carry the branding, nor the price of higher labor cost, but some people (brand name snobs is the term used by the gun nuts) will go to hell with a broken back before buying anything but a colt. Fine, more power to ya' and less thickness to your wallet! Seems to be about the same with the big name American winches. Fine, all well and good, but if it goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger, and the winch spools in and out every time I hit the button, so long as I take care of it, I'll save the 800 or so bucks and buy the Smittybuilt (and I did).

Moral to the story... buy what you want, just don't hate on me for my budget purchase. I've not heard anyone complain about the Smitty's on the trail, and my group has 3 of them, 4 now that I have added mine. My friend used his XRC8 to yank free his Unlimited with no issues, so I think my YJ will be just fine with the cheap little winch that could.
I have watched the smittybilt vs warn battle for quite some time myself. There has been much argument over China vs USA and I am not going to re-hash that here. I was finally able to buy a winch recently and could afford the base model warn, so I did. I figure that if I had to replace the smittybilt a few years down the road, I would kick myself for spending less for a comparable warn (M8000-$539). I will only know in time if my reasoning was true or not but I do feel very comfortable with my decision and that I made the wiser investment, even though the first winch I was sent had a bent support rod from the factory (the box was not damaged in any way so I know it wasn't a shipping accident).

GEAUX TIGERS
post #175 of 177 Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
gpb

Couple additional comments:

Sure it's fun to blame "greedy employers" but the root causes are (a) people demanding stuff at the cheapest possible price and (b) shareholders demanding the best possible short term return with little to no long term view. Who are the shareholders? Anyone with a pension plan or 401k or other retirement investments in the stock or bond markets. Are there bad apples running businesses? Sure, there are. But for the root causes of the shift in relatively unskilled manufacturing jobs overseas look in the mirror.

Deepskyy makes good points. If you're comparing two winches of similar price points then it's likely there's not a whole lot of difference between them. Quality cost money; but spending extra money doesn't necessarily mean you get quality.

The biggest difference I figure is the reaction of your buddies and/or people on the forums if/when your winch breaks. A Warn breaking will more likely get an "oh, too bad" response while a Smittybilt failing will more likely get a "cheap Chinese ****" response.
post #176 of 177 Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BigSmitty View Post
For all you guys doggin harbor frieght it is not a harbor frieght winch it is a central machinery winch and yea warn has been around a while but guess what central machinery has been aroun for 20- 25 yrs so i bet they arent going any where im not tring to start an argument but get it straght be for you dog it.
Uh, no. Central Machinery is a Harbor Freight brand, not its own company. Just like Pittsburgh, Western Safety, etc.
post #177 of 177 Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
OldSkull
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Couple additional comments:

Sure it's fun to blame "greedy employers" but the root causes are (a) people demanding stuff at the cheapest possible price and (b) shareholders demanding the best possible short term return with little to no long term view. Who are the shareholders? Anyone with a pension plan or 401k or other retirement investments in the stock or bond markets. Are there bad apples running businesses? Sure, there are. But for the root causes of the shift in relatively unskilled manufacturing jobs overseas look in the mirror.

Deepskyy makes good points. If you're comparing two winches of similar price points then it's likely there's not a whole lot of difference between them. Quality cost money; but spending extra money doesn't necessarily mean you get quality.

The biggest difference I figure is the reaction of your buddies and/or people on the forums if/when your winch breaks. A Warn breaking will more likely get an "oh, too bad" response while a Smittybilt failing will more likely get a "cheap Chinese ****" response.

Thanks to everyone that has posted their EXPERIENCE with THIS winch. I am planning to buy one in the near future....because I can't afford to put this at the top of list. I have MANY things I would like to get before I even need a winch.

As for the post above, I am interesting in getting a comparable product for the lowest price. My 401(k) plan has not changed since I started it. I do not control or care what the companies do to make money. the fund manager moves the stocks around to get the best return.

It is threads like this that allow us to make a decision if they are in fact comparable. I don't think that just because I want a lower price means a company has to go out of the U.S. to drive it down. They ARE interested in profit or job security because their competition is beating them at efficiency or just plain product or whatever. If I can't afford something I don't buy it. The companies are trying to reduce the price so more people buy their product.

304 - T176 - D300 - D30 - M20 - 4" Superlift - 35-13.5x15 Krawler T/A's - TJ Flares - Team Rush - MSD 6A - Cavalier Seats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in