Screeching/Squealing in the rear (brakes or something else?) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Otakuinajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Screeching/Squealing in the rear (brakes or something else?)

So I've had my little 2-door xj 2000 for about 2 years now. I take it back and forth from PA to MA for college and breaks. Over the past summer my father and I replaced the rear brakes (cylinders pads and drums). I gradually began to notice a bit of noise when braking and when letting up on the brake/accelerating slowly from rest. The sound also seems to occur on rotation, as though it's only one spot/section of the drum, if that's the problem. I currently don't have a lot of tools with me while I'm here at college and I've been doing my best to keep tabs on the sound which has neither worsened nor lessened. Over winter break my father and I replaced the rear bottom (furthest back to the rear pumpkin) and for a while it had seemed to help but now it's back to how it was before. I've tried doing research on the potential causes and the ideas have ranged from simple metal/obstruction between the pad and drum to a bent rear axle flange. I don't take it mudding (nor will i, brand me a blasphemer).
On a side note, though I don't think it would have absolutely any significance in the cause, the leaf springs need replaced (as well as the rattling Cat converter) but both are projects for the coming summer. I'm heading back home for a week soon, so I'm considering taking off the drums and having a look with my father then, i'm just a tad concerned about the trip home. I feel as though the brake bias holds more to the front as of late, as if the rear brakes aren't putting as much stopping power in as they should. I've searched for leaks in the line and found none.

Any ideas or past experiences with similar problems would be of great help to this weary college student.

Attached Thumbnails
10474860_822787207755108_4020205144860886751_n.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-04-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Otakuinajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nevermind... looks like all it needed was a cleaning out, de-brake dusting. right as rain.

Tags
brakes , rear brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in